Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Black Suit

black chalk / pinstripe suits were fairly common. does that count as black or do we mean only plain black ?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...=1#post1390588

Yes, plain black- at least this is what I was aiming at all the time. Maybe tone on tone pattern (like wide stripes in the weave) but certainly pinstripes are a different thing.
    Your jacket is great btw. I am ab big fan of the silhouette.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post

Yes, for modern suits and everyday wear he has a point. But finding the many black 30s suits in germany often makes you wonder if they can be worn. And I think they can.
    I feel the same. If a black suit is not deemed appropriate for vintage wear, why are there so many black vintage suits available? They may not be considered to be part of the vintage look for North America, but in continental Europe the black suit was common. So for a European look, the black suit is perfect.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

Practically Family
    Canterbury and Burgess Hill, UK (former expat)
    Whilst I am not a fan of black suits (at least not for wear in the Anglo-Saxon world), I agree the evidence is indeed mounting in favour of the appropriateness of black suits on the continent, or at least in Germany. Maybe it just never fell out of favour in the late 19th Century

BUMP because I saw some great black suits from other FL members. Some of them are german which seems to be another proof that they were more common in there than in the US or even UK. The "rules" about black suits seem to be quite different in continental europe.

Incurably Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Foot Floey View Post
    The "rules" about black suits seem to be quite different in continental europe.
    The 'rules' are of a rather recent prescription.

Cincinnati, where it happens last, if at all.
    If I had one, I might wear a black suit for 'cocktail attire' with a bow tie. Or as Agent Smith of the Matrix, on Halloween.
    Trying for 'Sigmund Freud' but ended with 'Willie Nelson', instead.

Or as Agent Smith of the Matrix, on Halloween.
    Or as the black angel?

"I feel comfortable in black, its slimming. When I was on earth I owned a gallery..."
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

I think a black suit is just the ticket for evenings at the symphony or the theater. The current 'rules' against black suits are nothing but individuals putting on airs and pretending to be aristocrats demeaning black suits as 'servant wear'. A pox on the lot of them.
    Sarge
    www.thesportinggentry.com
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

For me a black suit is a Sunday best thing.
    'Stone me, what a life....' (Tony Hancock)