Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OK...so what is your oldest hat?

Sponsoring Affiliate Art Fawcett's Avatar

OK...so what is your oldest hat?

I started collecting hats as part of my vintage wardrobe, then to fill in the Vintage store my wife and I started, then finally because I got hooked and fascinated with the entire field. My earliest is a well loved and almost completely worn out topper from about 1830. The next oldest is 1860s and is one of the last pure 100% beaver plushes made by Dunlap and for lack of a better description call it a flat topped "Boss of the Plains" to get a visual. I don't have them pictured, although they were featured on a segment of Collectible Treasures a few years ago. I'll work on posting pics as time allows. But , now I'm interested in how every one ELSE got bit.
    Any good stories out there?
    "you want me to do WHAT???
    http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

My oldest

Gee Art, I think my 1930's Dobbs or the same period MacLaughlan's are my oldest...the Silver Beaver 50s...but maybe not...they are pretty tall crowns and wide brim. But the felt..you saw them...creamy, tight, and smooth. Most of what interests me in 30's to early 50's Fedoras....you can keep the stingy brims, and.. oh yes, I have a Stetson Boater...aged but unbroken straw and clean ribbon. I bet that could be a 1920's...but they made them well into the 50's...

Art, how do you age date a Stetson straw boater?
    "Thanks for the memories...."
    I've been around here for over TEN YEARS! 11-24-03

Art, how do you age date a Stetson straw boater?

A number of different ways Kev. First is the weave. then we look at the liner (or sticker) ie: type & how it is sewn, brim width, ribbon age and so on. Mostly it is just experience in handling earlier hats and getting a "feel" for them. You start to recognize earlier ribbon patterns etc. It's like anything else, you gotta kiss alotta frogs

Hey Art

So how do you like MY new Avitar? It was done on a hot sunny day with my face squinting in the sun as the artist did a pencil drawing of me at the Art and Wine Festival in Walnut Creek. Yours is better.
    Thanks for the info on the dating of the hat and speaking of dating: LUNCH 11:30 on TUES at El Sol!
    "Thanks for the memories...."
    I've been around here for over TEN YEARS! 11-24-03

Not bad Kev, ElSol..Tuesday

I've got an old bi-cornered chapeau from a masonic Knights Templar chapter from ohio. Goes back to the late 1800s. Quite fun to wear it, as I assume most bi-cornered hats are. I can't imagine the kind of comments I'd get wearing it on a typical day....

Ahh c'mon Kent...you can wear it!!!
    There were many "Knights of Columbus" type organizations that used that hat with their outfit. I have one, but have never understood it. Someday I'll look into it's significance. Do you know much about it?

Suspended
    Art,
    Where oh where did you get that cool drawing?
    Dusty

Dusty,
    For many years I was involved in a local car club (Contemporary Historical Vehicle Assoc.) CHVA and was the director for a while. I retired from that position when I aquired a third company to be involved in and one of the members was a successful artist. This was his "retirement" gift to me. It was done from a picture he had taken on one of our tours to the wine country. If I recall, alcohol was involved.))

Oldest hat... hmmmm.

I would have to go with both my black bowlers. one is unlined and the other is lined, both are in great condition except for the leather bands. I believe them to be from the 20's.

I also have a 30's boater and a early 30's possibly late 20's Borsalino.

I only have pics of the Boater at the moment.

Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE