Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Akubra R.M.Williams "RM" Hat

Akubra R.M.Williams "RM" Hat

I just bought an Akubra R.M.Williams "RM" Hat. I had first read about it in the following thread where JTL posted his re-bashed version: HERE

The original bash looks like this:

I did a "cold" re-bash on the crown and wet the back of the brim to change the downward turn to an upward curve. Here's how it looks now (normally not to be worn with scrubs, but that's what I have on.)

(Yes.....that's an IV pole in the photos.)

Someone in the other thread was wondering whether or not this was simply a Campdraft in Mid-Brown. If not, it's very close. The brim is a full 3" and the Campdraft is listed as 73mm (2.88"). But depending on the way I'm measuring my RMW, it may very well be 2.88" instead of 3". I just remeasured with a metric tape and it reads 74-75 mm. So.....I suppose it really is a Campdraft with a RMW bash and sweatband.

The way I have it bashed, it's just under 5" at the front.

A very nice hat....Imperial felt.....and much softer than my Imperial Snowy River.

I ordered it directly from Australia at the Nungar Trading Company (The Bushmans Outfitters). I ordered it just before Christmas and received it 2 days ago. I had a little email communication problem with the company at first, but later found out that my spam blocker had filtered out their messages. Steve was very helpful and friendly. I can highly recommend ordering from Nungar. You might want to communicate directly with Steve (Stephen Neiberding): nungar@dragnet.com.au (which is the email address that he responded from.

Thanks to JTL for alerting me to this wonderful hat. Now......can't wait til my new Fed IV arrives !!!!!

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by HatDoc

Doc
    I like the looks of that one!
    Very nice re-crease! I like the 'back swoop' of the brim.
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

Like it a LOT, Doc. When my mid-brown Campdraft gets here, I'll post photos so we can see how similiar. Nice crease job!
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

That lid looks great on you, HatDoc -- it suits you very well. Nice to see another "R.M." surface here on the Lounge. It's a lid that can definitely hold up to the elements, but, as you point out, the felt has a nice softness to it, as well. The "R.M." is also covered in this thread in some detail.

Good on ya, HatDoc.

Cheers,
    JtL

You make that hat look good! Well, the hat is a beauty, but it certainly looks like "you".
    As stated earlier, that back swoop is too cool for school.
    Thanks for sharing!
    "Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not." ~Samuel Johnson

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    Quote Originally Posted by HatDoc View Post
    I just bought an Akubra R.M.Williams "RM" Hat. I had first read about it in the following thread where JTL posted his re-bashed version: HERE

Someone in the other thread was wondering whether or not this was simply a Campdraft in Mid-Brown. If not, it's very close. The brim is a full 3" and the Campdraft is listed as 73mm (2.88"). But depending on the way I'm measuring my RMW, it may very well be 2.88" instead of 3". I just remeasured with a metric tape and it reads 74-75 mm. So.....I suppose it really is a Campdraft with a RMW bash and sweatband.

The way I have it bashed, it's just under 5" at the front.
    I haven't heard much talk on TFL about the R.M. Williams hat. I wonder how it would compare in dimensions and in felt quality to the Heritage Campdraft, of the buying campaign. This bump revives a 2009 thread. More specifically, should I be aiming for a Heritage Campdraft, or an R.M. Williams hat? Or are they identical?
    Last edited by danofarlington; 03-18-2011 at 06:37 PM.

I have one and I love it. The felt is much more impressive than my campdraft felt.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Neophyte's Avatar
    The R.M. Williams is Imperial felt. Essentially, the OP described it as exactly the same as a Mid-Brown Campdraft. Thus, the Heritage Campdraft will be the better choice, being constructed of a higher quality felt.
    Good luck!
    ---Alexander

Looks great, Doc. Having gone through two major surgeries last year I get a little nervous around IV poles.

That does it. I've gotta get me a mid-brown Campdraft. John Helmer doesn't seem to have the Campdraft on his website any more, at least I can't find it, so I guess I'll have to do the 3-month wait thing from one of the other vendors.
    Paul W. (the Benzadmiral)
    http://benzadmiral-uncle.blogspot.com/