Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper hat, proper apparel?

"A List" Customer jazzncocktails's Avatar

JJ, go for it...

I just started wearing fedoras last summer after a dermatologist read me the riot act (while removing a small bit of "pre-cancerous" temple). But in reality, that just gave me the excuse to do something I'd wanted to do for a long time.

Since I teach at a college, I was able to wear some cheap (and I do mean cheap) straw fedoras during the summer break, with no one around, to get the feel of them. Once fall came around, I bought a good fur felt fedora (actually, 2 modern Stetson fedoras). And now I'm wearing an Akubra Federation IV that I'm really enjoying. I only got one "Indy" at work, but from a friend who knew I'd know she was teasing. A few odd looks, but not many. And yesterday, standing around having a conversation with a couple of colleagues while wearing my Fed IV, the college president walked into view nearby...for the first time wearing his own black fedora. There were several double-takes from him to me--looks that said, "Am I missing something?" I haven't caught him yet to compliment him or find out what type of fedora he was wearing.

In any case, wearing the lid will feel a little odd at first, but as you feel more and more comfortable with it, it will quickly become second nature. I feel naked going outside without a wide brim on my head now. And while the Stetsons were a convenient way to start, knowing what I know now, I definitely would have begun with Akubra's Fed IV or Stylemaster if I could do it all over again.

Have fun--after all, it's only a hat!
    "Here's your hat, what's your hurry?"

Quote Originally Posted by jazzncocktails
    Have fun--after all, it's only a hat!
    PERFECT!!!
    "Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not." ~Samuel Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by jazzncocktails
    I just started wearing fedoras last summer after a dermatologist read me the riot act (while removing a small bit of "pre-cancerous" temple). But in reality, that just gave me the excuse to do something I'd wanted to do for a long time...
    Thank you sir for your story!

After Rick mentioned the Akubra Campdraft I went looking. I'm not personally a fan of the porkie pie bash, but then I saw the Stylemaster on their site. Funny now that you mention it, it definately caught my eye. I'm now shifting my focus away from Bailey and toward a Stylemaster, or maybe an Angler. I can't afford a Fed IV at this point so unless I make a major find I'm not including it in my efforts.
    "Dice have six sides for a reason, my friend. There is no thrill in surety."

Quote Originally Posted by JJWord
    Thank you sir for your story!

After Rick mentioned the Akubra Campdraft I went looking. I'm not personally a fan of the porkie pie bash, but then I saw the Stylemaster on their site. Funny now that you mention it, it definately caught my eye. I'm now shifting my focus away from Bailey and toward a Stylemaster, or maybe an Angler. I can't afford a Fed IV at this point so unless I make a major find I'm not including it in my efforts.
    Just so you know... the Camp Draft comes open crowned [i.e. no crease]
    the pork pie is only in the adds.
    Check out some of the Camp Draft and Akubra threads, the Camp Draft takes a c-crown, center dent or diamond crease and the classic cattleman with ease.
    Please dont let the picture of the pork pie [not that there is anything wrong with that] turn you off.
    Good luck!
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

Quote Originally Posted by JJWord
    Thanks Goose and Rick!

Sorry Goose, didn't mean any disrespect with the "looking silly" comment,...
    What - you don't think Goose looks silly?

Waitaminnit. I hear a motorcycle comin' up the street.

Gottago
    "I'm gonna' pack my suitcase and head on down the line. Ain't nobody worried, ain't nobody cry'n."
    T-Bone Walker

Here's to the man with a different crease.

Quote Originally Posted by HarpPlayerGene
    What - you don't think Goose looks silly?

Waitaminnit. I hear a motorcycle comin' up the street.

Gottago
    I think Goose looks great ...all the time. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    "Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale." A.E. Housman

I agree wholeheartedly with what Goose wrote.

I've been wearing hats just about my whole life, and many different kinds, so whenever I show up in something new, it's kind of expected. IOW, habit bestows normalcy. Wear your hat(s) proudly, like theyre a part of your being, and thatll be the general consensus, at least after a little while. And the more you wear them, the more natural that 'natural' feel will become.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

One of the Regulars Bob Smalser's Avatar
    Don't worry about it.

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    If you can walk around lookin' like your avatar then where is the question

Life is short

Hats are fun

You will carry a certain mystique about you. Women will fall at your feet...

Haha, my avatar is my youngest son at age 3. Imagine waking up from a nap on the couch to THAT about 3 inches from your face. And he was in full character.

I think I've settled on an Akubra Campdraft in glen gray. Probably go through HD, but I need to square something away first. I kinda got a speeding ticket this weekend (76 in a 65) so my mad money fund might need to be diverted soon. Going to call my lawyer today first and see how this goes.
    "Dice have six sides for a reason, my friend. There is no thrill in surety."