Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage style "exercise" clothes?

As a Canadian Air Force Gal I work out everyday (soon to be twice a day) and I run and do weights, and I had not thought about vintage workout wear, but am now!

I usually run in beat up old shorts and a jersey, or when the lakes were frozen we went skating and I did wear a white knit vintage-esque hat, scarf, and mitt set I made, and of course my red lippy. If only I had some of those vintage strap on ice skates! I think the winter sportswear will open up opportunities for me to be more vintage.

ooh! Also my current lip stick brand is a stay-all-day type and I end up running the miles in dingy gym wear and my red lippy!
    "A career is wonderful thing, but you can't snuggle up to it on a cold night" - Marilyn Monroe

I just saw this 20's gym suit:

When a girl takes off her clothes, she puts on a smile!

Gym suit from 1931 Ward's catalog:

It's better than my old gym uniform which was a saggy jersey 1 piece with blue short shorts and a maroon and white striped top. It zipped up the front.

Anyway, I have old photos of people wearing...grey sweat suits. They are just like today's fleece sets. Also popular was the t-shirt and shorts.

One of the Regulars fuzzylizzie's Avatar
    There's an article I wrote on the history of the gymsuit, if you're interested.

I love gym shirts from the 1930s. They are made of cotton and are cool and look cute:

Not a great photo, but you get the idea.

And on my blog I have some pictures of Claire Shaeffer, sewing book author, of her time in the Florida State U circus, that show her late 50s leotard and shorts.

"A List" Customer pdxvintagette's Avatar

Working Out - Vintage Style. Recommendations?

I have a ... VERY ... hard time getting myself to the gym.

It isn't that I don't like working out at all, actually I find zoning out on a treadmill and the repetition of weights kinda soothing, in the periods of my life when I've stuck with it for any length of time. And I certainly like the improvement in the drape of my vintage wardrobe.

But I'm a kind of a vintage snob. I hate wearing sweatpants and built-in-bra workout shirts, and am positive they don't belong outside the house. And tennis shoes are just plain generally atrocious. The fact is, I get tired of going out of my house three to five days a week looking like the mediocre middle class over-tired young moms that I see shopping at the grocery store in what are probably pajamas.

So, what sort of attire is cute, vintage-y and can be worn to work out in? I kinda thought that having a playsuit made of a modern stretch material might be cute, but the price to have it custom, whew! Any recommends on tops, bottoms, shoes, etc.? I don't think I can get away with the cuffed jeans, barely there top and bare feet that we see Marilyn bench pressing in.

What about tennis/running skirts? High-waisted retro shorts?

There are a lot of cute retro-print tankinis out there, polka dots, cherries, etc. and I'd use the top of one with coordinating shorts. (not spandex shorts, cotton shorts) Not quite a playsuit but definitely a soft, cuter-than-your-average-gymrat look. And I'd use a cute headband or scarf with my ponytail.
    All travellers must visit wardrobe before departure. And that goes for you especially Trevor. You've created a hell of a stink back in 2010 wearing those bloody silly goggles of yours and that hoodie. - Smithy

"A List" Customer pdxvintagette's Avatar
    Gosh, I totally ran a search for this and came up with nothing! Funny. Thanks for the merge!

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    I do not klnow about "vintage" but I workout 5/6 times per week. Aerobic/weights mountain biking etc etc etc

The "old" material just does not do it for me. Under Armour is perfect. However we just may be seeking a different result I just want function. "Vintage" is not my style.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/womens here is there link it is worth a look.

I'll Lock Up
    I look at the 30's gymsuits and just think 'oh dear that would ride up my thighs continually on the eliptical machine' and I would be driven insane by the need to stop and unwedge them.

Although maybe skinny ladies wouldn't have that same issue.

Sorry, I will stick with lycra bike shorts that stay put.
    They say ignorance is bliss, but it really just means you failed to learn.

I really like the UnderArmour gals' shirts. They have ones to keep you cool and ones for warmth, depending on what season you are working out in. I really like the long sleeve shirts made for the hot weather, to wear while working outdoors on our 100+ roses, because it can keep the sun off my skin better than sunscreen does. Plus they have some great colors that are the same colors as some of our roses!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlisle Blues
    . Under Armour is perfect. However we just may be seeking a different result I just want function. "Vintage" is not my style.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/womens here is there link it is worth a look.
    "Baby, you've arrived."