View Poll Results: Does red lipstick age a woman over forty?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 4.41%
  • No

13 19.12%
  • Depends on the individual and application

52 76.47%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: True or False: Red Lipstick Ages Women Over 40?

My Mail is Forwarded Here PrettySquareGal's Avatar

True or False: Red Lipstick Ages Women Over 40?

I think it's true for me and I want to know your thoughts! I love my reds but I also love looking my best!
    2014 feels like a creepy uncle who keeps trying to kiss me. I want to dodge it as much as possible!

I want to add a note about what I mean by "aging."

I started the wrinkles thread stating that I don't see anything wrong with wrinkles, and also in the gray hair thread I said I am not dying mine. I do not see anything wrong with looking one's actual age! BUT the reason why I don't dye my hair or surgically alter (or Botox) my wrinkles is because I think it had an opposite effect of looking fake and making me look like I am trying to look an age I am not. So with red lipstick, for me, I am finding that it is starting to look like it doesn't fit with my face anymore as I'm aging.
    2014 feels like a creepy uncle who keeps trying to kiss me. I want to dodge it as much as possible!

Have your lips changed? Maybe a different formula will fix that problem. Has your complexion changed? Then maybe it's a difference in hue you need. Many people lose pigmentation, not only in their hair but also their complexion. I believe both actually happens to most along with a change in eye color which usually becomes lighter with age but not always. All together it could "throw off" your old lipsticks.

Could it be a perception thing? Do you think you look like women you've in the past thought of as older women and if they've worn red lipstick, you may now think you resemble them?

I know I'm not giving any advice but just asking questions you may already have asked yourself. I just think they're points to consider. I think the nude lip look ages one like nothing else but that may just be my perception because of my complexion already leans towards the deeper beigy/golden/olive-browny tones.

I've seen photos of some who looked fantastic with blue-reds in their youth but who look better with orange reds or brown reds now and a different finish. Some could pull off matte when they were younger but not now and vice-versa. I haven't noticed for whom, what is true.

Am alone with three boys, overcaffeinated so I apologize if I'm not making sense.
    Be like a duck; Calm on the surface, but paddle like hell underneath!!!

I will never do the nude lip look! There are many other shades to work with. I don't think my lips have changed. I don't think it's a pigmentation thing for me, and I don't have any older red-lipstick wearing women in mind that I am afraid of resembling.

I've heard it both ways, actually -- that red ages women over 40, and that *only* women over 40 should wear it. So it all comes down to what you, yourself, see when you look in the mirror, really. Having seen you in person, I would say you've got a ways to go before you have anything to worry about.

I see a lot of 40+ women around wearing the pale color/gloss look, and to my eye what Lillemor says is absolutely true: that fashion is *extremely* aging on most anyone past their thirties, especially if they've spent a lot of time in the sun. I've unwittingly offended many of these ladies by selling them "Senior" tickets.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
    I've heard it both ways, actually -- that red ages women over 40, and that *only* women over 40 should wear it. So it all comes down to what you, yourself, see when you look in the mirror, really. Having seen you in person, I would say you've got a ways to go before you have anything to worry about.

I see a lot of 40+ women around wearing the pale color/gloss look, and to my eye what Lillemor says is absolutely true: that fashion is *extremely* aging on most anyone past their thirties, especially if they've spent a lot of time in the sun. I've unwittingly offended many of these ladies by selling them "Senior" tickets.
    Oh Lizzie, thank you, good advice and I LOVE the accidental selling of senior tickets.

I agree that it really depends on the individual. I'm 42 and wear red.I actually find pale lipstick just makes me look tired and actually ages me. I will say however, that i need to buy better lipstick now, something moisturizing, or else my lips look too dry, and that's a look that's aging.

I take the bus to work everyday and i see a few regular passengers that i believe are 40+ that wear red lipstick regularly. maybe I'm imagining things, but i swear they get bigger smiles from the busdriver On the other hand, the young woman that i buy my coffee from everyday has to be in her early 20's , but i feel that her bright red lippy makes her look 40.

I can't wear red. I suspect its because I haven't found the right read. I feel that it ages me just a bit. My natural lips are quite red on their own and the mix of the two is garish. For me "nude" lips are a my lips but better (MLBB) color. Some sort of deeper pink. That took where the lips have no color but just look wet is repulsive to me. If it came down to it, I'd rather wear the wrong shade of red any day.

At 39....

Greetings All-
    At 39 I think I can weigh in here, and I will anyway! As we age our lips get thinner and I suspect this might be where the idea originated? Thin lips plus dark colour equals less flattering, IMHO. I don't think nude is necessary, or even works well with thin lips but too dark just makes them look worse. That said, I believe most any woman can pull off red, it just takes experimenting to find the right one.
    As for grey hair, mine has more and more silver in it daily and for a while I refused to dye it (I have a hatred of dealing with roots) but I recently had a nice experience with a red rinse: the black is black again instead of lacklustre and the silver is pink- Wheee!! I took a decade off my look, according to some, so a temp. colour in brown would be happy highlights for some in my situation: 40-ish and greying. Granted, I enjoy false colours (just did only my bangs/fringe a bright reddish pink, no not very vintage but quite Fun!) so it might not be a great plan for all....

Obviously I'm a fan of red, so I'm not impartial about the lipstick thing. Just figured since I've been buying more red lippies lately and am almost in the age category I get to babble about this! *grin*

Thanx for your patience and time,
    ~Juliana

I'm fifty and I wear my best strong orange-red

with all my vintage 40s clothes, as well as with my really strong bright colored modern clothes too. Best I think for the 40s era as its what the women primarily wore back then. I don't feel it ages me at all, in fact I look better in it than with no makeup and no lipstick. But you gotta have the right red for your coloring, ex. see my pic attached wearing my vintage-inspired 90s does 20s hat.
    The other shade I wear besides the orange-red is a favorite one I describe as a bright geranium rose pink. Occasionally with my pastels I'll wear coral, or add a bi of the coral over the geranium pink.

I never do glossy, nude lip, or shiny look. The glossy stuff looks good on our almost fifteen yo daughter! Se wears the same orange-red as I do when she wears her vintage clothes. I agree that the nude or even worse yet, brown liner with nude lipstick really ages women. There is a 40+ yo gal in choir that wears this who is a Winter season. Gosh, I wish she'd try a nice matte lipstick in one of her better blue-red shades-she'd look so much attractive, and younger.
    "Baby, you've arrived."