Page 52 of 83 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyday Women of the Golden Era

Call Me a Cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Clabbergirl View Post
    Like this photo too - the car, the pose, everything. But, is she wearing espadrilles? Were those worn in that period?
    Lauren Bacall wears them in Key Largo. Good find on the name Gracie Lee, they looked a little low-heeled for espadrilles.

I Googled for "Giant Killer Sundae" and didn't find much, except this blurb under a hybrid image of a Chicago neighbourhood:

"Now a Starbucks, this former site of Lockwood Castle, home of "The Giant Killer" the Chicago Area's biggest sundae. If you were able to eat it in one sitting, you were given a free one next time you visited. Served 4-6 people."

ETA: If you Google Image a "Giant Killer Sundae," you'll find LizzieMaine's avatar !
    Last edited by C-dot; 07-28-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones." -Helena Rubinstein

One of the Regulars Clabbergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie Lee View Post
    They look more like huaraches to me... I've seen a couple pics with those type of shoes, and they're pretty easy to find in the stores this year.
    Oops, I feel silly. Yes, huaraches are what I was thinking of - for some reason thought escadrilles which they are most certainly not. Thank you for the correction! But they are huaraches? Didn't realize those were worn at that time. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by C-dot View Post
    ETA: If you Google Image a "Giant Killer Sundae," you'll find LizzieMaine's avatar !
    I only kill giants on Sundays. Takes the rest of the week to get rid of the evidence.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

Oops, I feel silly. Yes, huaraches are what I was thinking of - for some reason thought escadrilles which they are most certainly not. Thank you for the correction! But they are huaraches? Didn't realize those were worn at that time. Cool.
    No worries... don't feel silly. Had I not been shoe shopping this past weekend, I'd have never been able to pull that word out of my mental banks. I actually just picked up these... super super comfy Poke around the website some... they have some nice vintage-able shoes, and they're well made and very comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    I only kill giants on Sundays. Takes the rest of the week to get rid of the evidence.
    "So... you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"

Call Me a Cab
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post

From my beloved Everyday Fashions of the Fifties - huaraches were being worn in the early 1950s. I think I am going to have to get the 30s and 40s editions of the book to broaden my horizons!

My Grandmother, Norma Jane Moody Aggelis (b.1931) c.1946. She was a beautiful lady, inside and out. The dress was almost certainly made by my Great Grandmother, Eldora Moody.

Norma at Kissingen Springs, Bartow, Florida in the mid 40s. The springs are no longer there. From what Grandma told me, they were beautiful. They had a band stand and gazebo for dancing where all the young people went for fun.

Norma and Jimmie Aggelis on their wedding day in 1951. They had five daughters, the first of which was my mother who was born in 1952.

Norma and my mother, Stephanie Faye Aggelis in 1952.

My maternal Great Grandmother (mom's dad's mom), Ollie Lee Hunter Aggelis c.1920s. She was married at 15(!!!) to my Great Grandfather who immigrated from a Greek island off the coast of Turkey. Ollie and Steve Aggelis were married for over 50 years until he died in the early 80s. My mother says I resemble her.

I have some pictures of my Grandfather and Great Grandfather, too. Since this is a thread about women, I'll post those in the Display Case thread for family pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpadesGirl View Post

My Grandmother, Norma Jane Moody Aggelis (b.1931) c.1946. She was a beautiful lady, inside and out. The dress was almost certainly made by my Great Grandmother, Eldora Moody.

Norma at Kissingen Springs, Bartow, Florida in the mid 40s. The springs are no longer there. From what Grandma told me, they were beautiful. They had a band stand and gazebo for dancing where all the young people went for fun.

Norma and Jimmie Aggelis on their wedding day in 1951. They had five daughters, the first of which was my mother who was born in 1952.

Norma and my mother, Stephanie Faye Aggelis in 1952.

My maternal Great Grandmother (mom's dad's mom), Ollie Lee Hunter Aggelis c.1920s. She was married at 15(!!!) to my Great Grandfather who immigrated from a Greek island off the coast of Turkey. Ollie and Steve Aggelis were married for over 50 years until he died in the early 80s. My mother says I resemble her.

I have some pictures of my Grandfather and Great Grandfather, too. Since this is a thread about women, I'll post those in the Display Case thread for family pictures.
    Looking at your picture and the picture of your Great Grandmother I would have to agree with your mother!!

Love all the pictures ladies!! Makes me sad that I have none of my family besides a few photos of my Great Grandfather during WWII that got passed down to me because according to my grandmother "no one else in the family would want them" (of course after they found out I got them there was an uproar... I made they photo copies and kept the originals!!) but he is in uniform in them and well everyone has seen a million photos of men in uniform in the 1940s!!
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent" Eleanor Roosevelt

Winifred

This is such a lovely thread! I love seeing how women were naturally glamourous back in the old days. I wish we all still made that much effort these days.

Here are some photos of my very glamourous grandmother Winifred (Win for short) back in the 1940's (I assume!).

I have to link to my Flickr account as I have not yet learnt the art of posting photos in threads

Grandma in a very pretty dress:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkplasticheart/4706064926/

Grandma and my mother:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkpla...rt/4705400863/

On the lawn:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinkpla...rt/4706016100/

I always remember she spent so much time doing her hair and makeup to make sure she looked her best every day right up until she died. I miss her!

Call Me a Cab
    Quote Originally Posted by loveheartlove View Post
    Here are some photos of my very glamourous grandmother Winifred (Win for short) back in the 1940's (I assume!).
    She is gorgeous! I especially love the first picture