Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyday Women of the Golden Era

74099 needs to lay off the Joan Crawford movies for a while.
    The humblest citizen in all the land, when clad in the armor of a righteous cause, is stronger than all the hosts of error. -- William Jennings Bryan

great photos!

One of the Regulars Romy Overdorp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    74099 needs to lay off the Joan Crawford movies for a while.
    ! I was thinking the same thing
    Nobody's mother lives in Atlantic City on Saturday - Lauren Bacall

http://vintage-romy.blogspot.com

I posted this in the 'vintage family pictures'-thread, but I thought it might belong here as well.

In the summer of 1938, my great-grandparents sent my grandmother (who was then 13 years old) to Germany to improve her German. This photo is from her album from that stay. She's the girl on the right; I have no idea who the man is, but the cat was apparently called "Micky".

What intrigues me is that she looks so much older than 13. I don't know it it's because she's so tall (now you understand why the rest of my family laughs at puny little 5'2'' me - see how short the German man is compared to her), but I wonder if it's also a sort of a sign of the times and perhaps that 13-year-olds nowadays look a lot more childish?

The Rags of Time - my history blog

February 15, 1931 issue of the French magazine Mondes & Voyages
    From a bound volume that I acquired at a swap meet. These issues also have some interesting articles about the International Colonial Exposition held in Paris that year which featured pavilions from the leading colonial powers at the time (including the United States). Sometime in the future I'll scan those articles and post them in another thread.

The Contest of European Beauty Queens 1931.
    First (Front) Row, from left to right: Miss Italy (Nocetti, first name unknown), Miss Estonia (Lilli Silberg), Miss Belgium (Anita Netta Duchateau), Miss France (crowned Miss Europe)(Jeanne Juilla), Miss Hungary (Maria Tasnady-Fekete), Miss England (Mason, first name unknown) and Miss Denmark (Inge Arvad). Second (Back) Row: Miss Yugoslavia (Katica Urban), Miss Austria (Berta von Haetjens), Miss Romania (Tanti Vuroseanu), Miss Germany (Ingrid Ruth Richard), Miss Turkey (Naschide Saffet Hanim), Miss Greece (Cryssoula Rodis), Miss Spain (Ermelina Carreņo) and Miss Holland (Mary Lelyveld).
    Last edited by V.C. Brunswick; 04-10-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

I've really enjoyed browsing through this thread! Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by David Conwill View Post
    Not sure if I've shared this one before. Apologies if it's a duplicate. My grandmother in 1945, presumably with a '42 Pontiac:

-Dave
    Grandma died Easter Sunday, peacefully, at home, at age 96. She was independent to the end, and I'm glad for the way she went, but sad that my last grandparent and link to the Golden Era is gone.
    All hat, no Packard.

I'm so sorry to hear that, David. Lifting your family up in prayer. You're Grandma was a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by lframe View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear that, David. Lifting your family up in prayer. You're Grandma was a beauty.
    Thanks. I'll hopefully be digging up a few more pictures of her to scan soon, she left behind a ton that I wasn't even aware of until we started to go through her things.
    All hat, no Packard.

One of the Regulars vintage_jayhawk's Avatar
    So sorry for your loss David. After I lost my grandmother last year, we found pictures even my dad didn't know existed! It's such a treat to see them as they were then. I hope you'll post some more.
    The faintest print is better than the best memory