Advertisements
Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyday Women of the Golden Era

Advertisements
    I'm very sorry for your loss David.

"Kissing a man without a moustache is like drinking champagne without bubbles”

In those days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and it was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it.~ Gracie Allen

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss, David. Know that the thoughts and prayers of many are with you and yours.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Not too north, not too south; just right, in CA.
    How wonderful that you love your grandma so much and enjoy her photos and stories of her Golden Era past. I'm sure she was a very special lady. Please accept my condolences on your loss.
    "Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?"

Casual Gals:

More "everyday" women:

Playing Pinup! Cute!!!

Familiar Face
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Moonlight View Post
    Seriously were bandanas bigger in the 40s? I cannot ever make them work on my head, even without my long, thick hair in a bun or such. And I'm pretty sure my head isn't huge or anything...
    Yes, they were! I have a whole bunch of them that were my Nana's. They are between 55 and 65cm, the majority of them averaging around 63cm along one edge. A modern one that I have is only 52cm along one edge, and it was the biggest that I could find.

This isn't everyday, but it's so amusing that I had to post it. Photo from an appliance trade show. http://www.jitterbuzz.com/aplsho.html
    The Grand Ball

Apparently, a Ball or a large public reception was held, featuring comely young ladies dressed as appliances. These are, of course, my kind of girls.

One of the Regulars therizyflapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    We all know the highly-idealized images of Golden Era women -- movie stars, magazine models, pinups, etc. -- but for most of us, those looks are great to see but neither practical nor attainable for everyday life. So here's a thread where we can draw inspiration from images of ordinary gals of the Era -- the hair isn't always picture-perfect, the makeup isn't flawless, the clothes didn't just come off a designer's rack, but they're still attractive -- and that's the way most women have always looked.

Here's a few to start with, courtesy of the ever-valuable Life Magazine archives:

Office worker, 1940

Sunglass wearer, 1938

Mother and kids, 1940

Airplane mechanic, 1940

Lecture audience, 1940

Plenty more out there -- find them online or find them in your own family album, and post them here!
    awwwww that mother and child picture is just too cute!!!! that baby is so adorable and chubby you just want to pinch his cute little legs hahaha and i love the bottom picture where you can see all the lovely hats! thank you so much so these pictures dear!

One of the Regulars therizyflapper's Avatar
    these pictures are all to die for!!!!! i love them they are just too amazing!!! thank you for sharing!!!