Advertisements

Thread: Golden Age Honolulu: 1920s-50s

Golden Age Honolulu: 1920s-50s

Advertisements
    I have already posted these photos in my "Demise of the Summer Suit" thread, but I felt that people who don't frequent the Suits forum might be interested in some Golden Age photos of Honolulu from the 1920s-50s.

1920s:

Bunch of dapper gents in blazers in front of 'Iolani Palace:

The crocodile himself, Averil Harriman and business tycoon Walter Dillingham inspecting the railroad:

1930s:

Territorial Gov. Judd 1930s:

Gov. Poindexter and Dillingham speaking about inter-island travel in 1934

A dapper gent and his 1935 Chevy:

Crowd waiting for results during Massie Trial in 1932:

Massie jury:

Prosecutor John Kelly

Honolulu Chamber of Commerce 1940s:

Flying United Airlines to Hawaii 1950s:

"His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

Great photos, Chasseur! Since my maternal family's roots are in Hawaii, it was a treat to see the photos you posted. The Massie trial photos were interesting, as I've only seen smaller versions in the book, Hawaii Scandal, by Cobey Black, about the Massie trial. Hard to imagine any man wearing a suit in Hawaii now!
    "The rattle of skeletons falling out of the closets is positively deadly!" Robert Montgomery in The Last of Mrs. Cheyney

DecoDarling,

Thanks!

Yeah, its shocking to see the difference between all the suits and ties then, and now the lack of them. The funny thing (that I posted in the summer suit thread) is that there is a slight suit come back the past few years, but its all dark wool suits!

I plan to post photos of Golden Age buildings soon. Downtown Honolulu has some great historic buildlings.
    "His modest resources meant that he could dress no more than reasonably well, but he did so with a kind of faded elegance that ignored the dictates of fashion... the overall effect was of someone frozen in time, indifferent to the new fashions of the agitated age he was living through. The truth is that he took pleasure in this, for obscure reasons that perhaps even he could not have explained."
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

Gee how i wish flying was still like this !!!!

Flying United Airlines to Hawaii 1950s:

[/QUOTE]
    "A gentleman is simply a patient wolf." Lana Turner

http://kittyvonpurr.blogspot.com/

Agreed. Everytime I see vintage travel pictures, whether for planes, trains or ships, it reminds how "far we've come" since then...
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte

One of the Regulars Jedburgh OSS's Avatar

Recommend this book

Stan Cohen's The Pink Palace, Royal Hawaiian Waikiki is loaded with photos of the golden era. Found a copy in a Harrisonburg, Virginia, thrift store.

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Palace-Ha...5720761&sr=1-2

New In Town

Searching for a Honolulu mystery

I'm searching for a mystery based in Honolulu on the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. Came out in paperback sometime during the nineties. Begins with a cab ride.

I know that's not much to go on, but perhaps someone's read it. I had the mystery, began it, put it down, and have never gotten back to it. Now I want to.

And thanks for these wonderful pictures.

"A List" Customer pdxvintagette's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasseur
    Agreed. Everytime I see vintage travel pictures, whether for planes, trains or ships, it reminds how "far we've come" since then...
    I believe you mean, "how far we've fallen."

I dislike flying. I'm not scared it, I just find it enormously unpleasant. But flying like that? I could do, and would as often as the budget would allow.

I agree with you completely, modern flying is rather depressing... I do it farly often, but most of the time its not particularly enjoyable in this day and age...
    -Arturo Perez-Reverte