Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New sherlock holmes movie

It seems like they are doing the same thing to Holmes, as they did to Batman. Both characters are thinkers, detectives not action heros. Action or force was defensive, not offensive.

I do think Downey is a good choice, but making him a 007 in the 19th century seems a bit silly.

LD

So I watched the trailer. Sherlock Holmes, naked chained to a bed with only a cushion hiding his modesty....

For Shame.

The fact that Irene Adler "the woman" is in it in some sort of sexual role is a real shame. Scandal in Bohemia is my favourite story.

This is really sub-par.
    Summer Fruit Cup - a blog covering, vintage cocktails, spirit reviews, vintage barbooks and barware and experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Day
    It seems like they are doing the same thing to Holmes, as they did to Batman. Both characters are thinkers, detectives not action heros. Action or force was defensive, not offensive.

I do think Downey is a good choice, but making him a 007 in the 19th century seems a bit silly.

LD
    THAT is the BEST COMPARISON EVER.

Victorian-era 007. What a freaking joke!

[YOUTUBE]S4K3aM5H5KM[/YOUTUBE]

It seems to be Sherlock Holmes meets "demons and angels". It also seems a bit campy.

Okay, I understand the gripes, but keep in mind that a good actor doesn't just copy the moves of actors who had the role before him, but takes ownership of the role, makes it his own. Robert Downey Jr. is precisely the kind of film actor that can do this. Give him a chance. In the end, this may turn out to be a lousy movie, but it's too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by hatted
    Okay, I understand the gripes, but keep in mind that a good actor doesn't just copy the moves of actors who had the role before him, but takes ownership of the role, makes it his own. Robert Downey Jr. is precisely the kind of film actor that can do this. Give him a chance. In the end, this may turn out to be a lousy movie, but it's too early to tell.

I think if it is a lousy movie, it won't be Downey's fault. The blame can go squarely on ex-Mr. Madonna, Guy Ritchie who's marriage was crumbling as he put this movie together.
    BRS
    "...back in the Thirties, the style seeker learned that genuine stylishness was an extension of himself..." AF

It's not whether he copies the moves of previous actors, if everyone did that we wouldn't have different interpretations. My gripe, mainly, is staying TRUE to the character, if you know what I mean. Doing stuff that Holmes would NEVER do, is not staying true to the character.

Or, it's the actor's interpretation...

One of the Regulars
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangas

Holmes was not a drug-addict as some might suppose. While he did take cocaine and morphine, I generally refuse to believe that he was an addict in the true sense of the word. Neither did he regularly smoke a curved, calabash-style pipe (it's never seen in any of the original illustrations) and God help Downy Jnr, if Holmes is spotted in the middle of Whitehall or some other extremely Londonish location, wearing a deerstalker cap.

After seeing the trailer, I don't think I'll be seeing the movie.
    They are not using the deerstalker and as for the pipe I don't think it's as much of a holmes thing as an establishment of the period, as for his "addiction" I don't believe he was hopelessly addicted and I do like that watson had moral objections in the original canon, I think that may make for interesting parts of the new movie but I will probably not see this film until others do. I hope it surprises me (god knows my standards are low enough)
    brevity is the soul of wit

Practically Family
    I'm not going to bash the movie, especially since it doesn't come out until Christmas eve. I'm honestly just happy that they are making a Holmes movie, so I'll wait till I actually see the thing before I start complaining or praising.

That said the traditional murder mystery movie, seems to be forever banished to TV. Luckily this gave us Brett's interpretation of Holmes, and is still giving us Suchet's interpretation of Poirot, so it isn't all bad. Non the less it is a bit sad that these movies (like westerns) are very rarely made anymore.