Thread: "Here's looking at you, kid" and what might get you slapped

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Chevalier
    What about "dollface"?

"Toots"?

"Kiddo"?

Dollface= Love it.
    Toots= hate it, makes me think you're saying "Tits"
    Kiddo= Cute, but would only like it in a casual greeting. This would not be my favorite nick name by any means.
    Don't go looking for trouble where there isn't any, because if you don't find it, you'll make it

I call everybody honey and darling. Something I've always done, but I'll stop if asked. I have a good friend who calls me "dollface" and I think it's adorable. In general, if the terms are meant for endearment and not for belittling or misogyny I'm fine with 'em.
    Silent Stanzas: poetry, photos, and anecdotes on silent film

Practically Family
    My current GF calls me boy, and I call her kid .

Personally I think some people like being outraged for the sake of being outraged. Others seem more insulted by cute nicknames of a time gone by compared to actual insults. I can see a woman getting upset with being called a slut, but pretending to be equally upset by that as they would by being called "hun" or "sug" to me is ridiculous. Especially considering most people who call others hun aren't doing it out of malice, well someone calling you a slut is hardly trying to use it to be friendly.

I don't see the point in pretending that someone calling me "son" should bother me as much as someone calling me 'bastard". Yeah I'm not a child, and I'm only one persons "son", but most people I know who use the term aren't using it out of malice, or in a way to make it seem I'm on a lower level then they are.

Maybe I'm just in the minority though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirin
    The last time I called a woman Mam, she came back at me with "Mam?! excuse me but I am not that old". She was probably in her mid 40s.

There's nothing to make you seem old like saying "I'm not that old!"

Is is wrong for a swain to toast his inamorata thus:

"Here's to Giraffes...(winks at girlfriend) and OTHER long "neckers"?

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christy
    "Thank you. By the way baby girl, you're thicker than a snicker" and gave me a big smile. I assume this was his way of a compliment. I was so shocked, I sped away as fast as I could.
    Well, I suppose this has no relation to Bill Murray and the Baby Ruth...
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

My Mail is Forwarded Here Undertow's Avatar
    I often call women 'kid' as a term of endearment. And on the other hand, I may call a woman 'sister' to express disatisfaction.

"Hey kid, how's things been?"

"Excuse me?! Kid? Get a life, fella!"

"Look sister, I don't know what your problem is, but I don't want any part of it!"
    "We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." ~ C. Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by LocktownDog
    Yeah. My kid says "fat" is a good thing now. There are more derogatory terms that I won't post here that are used now as positive nicknames. I've already told him I won't hear that crap coming out of his mouth.
    Not one of my favorite terms but I had it explained to me that Phat is supposed to be an acronym for "Pretty Hot And Tempting".
    The things kids come up with these days.
    I'm no model lady. A model is just an imitation of the real thing. ~ Mae West

This is a great thread!

I get called Hen a lot at work, which I think is sweet, but tone and context (and accent - I wouldn't be impressed if someone without a Scots accent called me Hen) do make such a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    I can't help but be reminded here of a quote I saw somewhere in relation to a girly film..... "That was the Summer of 1963, when everyone called me Baby and it didn't occur to me to mind." No idea what the film was, prsumably not one I've seen...
    That movie was Dirty Dancing(1987). With Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze.
    My little brother always called it a "girly" movie too.
    I'm no model lady. A model is just an imitation of the real thing. ~ Mae West