Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Vintage Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    I'm in the process of trying out perfumes for my own signature scent. I used to wear #5, but my skin chemistry has changed and it smells wrong to me now. I've been wearing Shalimar the past few days, and I love the dry down, however, the initial application leaves something to be desired.

I'm considering getting a few samples of vintage perfumes so that I can test them out... I suppose I should go through this thread and make a wishlist!
    It's great fun to try out different ones, but it's an expensive hobby. Broke my heart on vintage Tabac Blond- sooo lovely and way too expensive.

Thanks to this thread I've discovered The Perfumed Court.. I see much money being spent there in the near future. I love that they have collections from various decades...
    "The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less." - Arthur Miller

New In Town
    I always like to use vintage and old perfumes and some of my favourite vintage perfumes are The beat, Gabilla, Another, Sonoma scent studio, The chanel, The brut, Armani Code, Polo and calvin klein.

One of the Regulars pineapplefruitcake's Avatar
    A few days after I received the samples I was in the shopping centre and thought that I'd see if anyone had L'Interdit so I could see (smell) the difference. Nowhere I went to had ever even heard of it! A lady at David Jones though told me to go to the pharmacy though as they had a representative there - she had one bottle left of the Les Mythiques version and I know that it's very controversial but honestly to me it smells very similar to the original - only this one has a MUCH better staying power on me ( again - I know a lot of people would disagree with me). Unfortunately, the lovely lady at the counter told me that this has now been discontinued as well so they can't reorder it again - but I did get 20 percent off so...woohoo I also have Miss Dior Cherie but I find that can be a little cloying and strong and it tends to give me a headache after a while. I think L'Interdit may become my "signature scent" now since it's lovely to wear during the day or night

Maudelynn - what a charming fact! I love little bits of information like that
    "To love oneself..is the beginning of a lifelong romance"

My daughter just ran in here smelling of l'origan.... apparently, my four year old decided to douse herself in Airspun powder... and strangly, the smell suits her in a strange way...
    "The apple cannot be stuck back on the Tree of Knowledge; once we begin to see, we are doomed and challenged to seek the strength to see more, not less." - Arthur Miller

Suspended
    [B]Beautiful Faces Come Out Of Vanity Cases[/B]

One of the Regulars katiesparkles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fortworthgal View Post
    I just picked up a bottle of 4711. Can't wait to try it!
    How do you like it? This scent reminds me of my grandmother so much, growing up she always had a bottle of 4711 in her house. I actually need to see if I can get a bottle myself somewhere. Yay!

Reading this thread, I also feel like kicking myself in the butt. I went to an antique mall today and the minute I was about to leave I spied a full-sized Miss Dior, about 3/4 full. I don't exactly remember the price, I think it was around $10. Already had so much put back for me that I couldn't justify buying another piece but... sigh Maybe next month.
    Last edited by katiesparkles; 03-25-2012 at 04:38 PM.

This is my first post here, and it's appropriate that this thread is the one I post on. My boyfriend and I are avid vintage perfume collectors. Some of my favorites are old Guerlain fragrances, such as Shalimar, L'heure Bleue, Mitsouko, and the not quite as old Samsara. We recently had the most amazing luck and found vintage bottles of each of these for 10 dollars each! Obviously the seller had no idea what she was doing and we ended up saving about 500 dollars more than what they're worth! I even got an old, unopened dusting powder of Shalimar! The vintage versions of all of these are significantly better than the current versions. Unfortunately, the FDA has caused a lot of beautiful fragrances to have ingredients cut from the formulas, such as oakmoss and other very distinct notes, and are replaced by the terribly synthetic impostors.
    I really love any spicy oriental, especially from the 60s. YSL's Opium is probably my signature scent, if I am not already wearing Mitsouko, that is!

Just got my first vintage Shalimar sample. Wow. Now I understand what the fuss is about. It's everything I've ever wanted in a perfume. Absolutely lovely. Must get bigger sample!
    The Rags of Time - my history blog

After some heavy research on where the heck to find some Miss Dior that isn't that horrid reformulated version, I discovered that what's bought in France at a Dior boutique still smells quite similar to the original. Lucky for me my dear friend went to France on leave and was able to score me a bottle. What a divine chypre!

I compared what I have to what is sold as "Miss Dior" in my state in the USA, and I have to say they smell nothing alike. The American "Miss Dior" smells like Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, almost. The French Miss Dior is a deep, dark, woody chypre -- very beautiful.

Have yet to get my mitts on some Vol de Nuit. I'm slating a trip to the Guerlain boutique during my Vegas vacation coming up.
    "The sum of all human wisdom is contained in these two words: Wait and Hope." - Alexandre Dumas