Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Warbaby
    It's interesting the different ways one can interpret the facial expressions in old photographs. I took her expression to be a smirk of smug self-confidence, with a touch of arrogant pride.

OTOH, I could be entirely wrong and he could be a possessive, controlling brute who takes perverse pleasure in submitting her to unspeakable acts of degradation.

OTOH, she is taller than he and looks pretty strong - perhaps it is she who dominates the relationship, a woman of means and power who owns him, body and soul, a woman who keeps her well-endowed gardener as a pet and indulges her wanton desires without mercy.

She seemed to possess a rather Kate Hepburnesque quality from where I was looking. They also strike me as somewhat bohemian; he, perhaps, in an Elbert Hubbard kind of way.

Army pilot turned bank robber gets 10 years

Fort Sam Houston, Texas, August 20, 1932. 2nd Lieut. Herbert Lichtenberger (2nd from r), 28-year-old flight instructor at Randolph Field, with his defense team after being sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment for armed robbery of the Schertz, Texas, State Bank on February 15, 1932. Lichtenberger, whose wife was seriously ill and who had been having money problems and depressive episodes, claimed he had been drinking bootleg whiskey spiked with codeine and remembered nothing of the holdup, which netted $648.50. The aviator was dressed in civilian clothes and a handkerchief mask and drove a newly purchased Pontiac V-8, which aided in his identification and capture.
    Simplicity never goes out of style, and never comes into fashion.

This photo really jumped at me. Look at the textures and tones. You can almost feel the textures in this image. The shirt, the hat. This is a really fantastic photo technically. They must have had a very nice lens on that camera.

Ken

"A List" Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by J.L. Picard

Tour de France 1930's? What year did they start riding the bicycles, in the Tour?

Bulgarian gentlemen's from 1942.

Bulgarian lady from 30's.

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone_Ranger
    Tour de France 1930's? What year did they start riding the bicycles, in the Tour?
    I think if your bike gets busted up in the race, you are allowed to run with it. No joke...

My Mail is Forwarded Here Flat Foot Floey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RBH
    Taken between 1939-1945 by Heber Springs Arkansas photographer Mike Disfarmer.
    His photos now are very sought after.
    http://www.disfarmer.com/
    I bought a book about disfarmer for only 5 euro yesterday. It`s a really great resource for the american common man of the 30s and 40s...

I also bought the book "least wanted" for only 7 €. It is a collection of old mug shots. Of course most of the only show upper part of the body (the collar, lapels of the jacket and the hairstyle are nice to look at though) but there are some full shots too.

What I like about this books is that they show real people instead of "beautiful", rouged, well dressed hollywood stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierken

This photo really jumped at me. Look at the textures and tones. You can almost feel the textures in this image. The shirt, the hat. This is a really fantastic photo technically. They must have had a very nice lens on that camera.

Ken
    This is a great photo, for all the reasons you mention; thanks! BTW: is there any location associated with it? I'm curious if it might be New England...could be many things, but I'm wondering if the scrap of "whatever" on the rear window used to say "[DRIN]K MOX[IE!]"

"Skeet"
    Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labor.

—T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by "Skeet" McD
    This is a great photo, for all the reasons you mention; thanks! BTW: is there any location associated with it? I'm curious if it might be New England...could be many things, but I'm wondering if the scrap of "whatever" on the rear window used to say "[DRIN]K MOX[IE!]"

"Skeet"
    That's a Dorothea Lange photo. According to the post about here work at the Selvedge Yard the photo is from November 1936. “Drought refugee from Polk, Missouri. Awaiting the opening of orange picking season at Porterville, California.” The post is well worth checking out, as are the comments.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com...ve-hard-times/

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE
    That's a Dorothea Lange photo. According to the post about here work at the Selvedge Yard the photo is from November 1936. “Drought refugee from Polk, Missouri. Awaiting the opening of orange picking season at Porterville, California.” The post is well worth checking out, as are the comments.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com...ve-hard-times/
    Dear Frankie,
    Thanks so much for your very prompt and very complete answer! Much appreciated...so, perhaps that scrap is....a radio call sign? It isn't very likely to be a Moxie ad!

Welcome to the Lounge! and thanks again,

"Skeet"
    Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labor.

—T.S. Eliot