Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vintage lighting:

Familiar Face
    I found this great 1920?「どィび「s lamp while browsing through a local antique store.

The wiring needed replacing so I found this great company that sells modern wiring that is made to replicate vintage cloth covered wire. They even carry reproduction vintage plugs. One of the styles just happened to be an exact duplicate of the original plug that came with the lamp!

Their website is http://www.sundialwire.com/

Was able to rewire the lamp myself.
    Back to the Past...

Now that is a useful link!
    Thanks and a tip of the fedora, KR !

Best Company For Lighting

Vintage Restorations as well as reproductions. Not cheap, but it's very well made:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/

A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth. - Fitzgerald

I'm looking forward to buying some vintage/repr lamps in the near future (need to buy a house first). There was a shop on 2nd St in Long Beach, near my old place, that sold a ton a repro lighting. Lots of tiffany glass & Arts & Crafts stuff, which I really dig. I'm also a fan of the art deco table lamps that feature a bronze nude holding a glass dome. I've seen several repros of these on Ebay, I just haven't pulled the trigger on any of them yet. One day I will own a motorized hula-girl lamp too!
    "It is discouraging how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit."
    窶殿

I've picked up two identical desk lamps in the past year from two different locations (and states!) that date to 1934. They're true art deco goose neck metal 'scoop' lamps (the type you see on just about every film noir detective desk or clerical set up), and one was purchased at a yard sale for $3, and the other in an antique store in Kentucky for $15. I've seen them in large antique stores for $100, so I'm pleased. They're both in perfect working order too, and I usually just use 40w bulbs in them for that 'vintage' look.

We purchased the two for the 'someday' when we get a partner desk, and each of us will have one for our side of the desk to work by.

Regards! Michaelson
    "...remember to read chapters 4 and 5...."

I'm surprised there's not more lighting threads here? My wife collects vintage (mostly Victorian) "Fairy Lamps" and they're beautiful.
    Anyone else here know of these? She had a nice piece in "Victorian Homes" mag last year, and there's lots of folks that collect them elsewhere...

In the valley below the shining city on a hill, Chesterton, Indiana 46304
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteMT61 View Post
    I'm surprised there's not more lighting threads here? My wife collects vintage (mostly Victorian) "Fairy Lamps" and they're beautiful.
    Anyone else here know of these? She had a nice piece in "Victorian Homes" mag last year, and there's lots of folks that collect them elsewhere...
    Good bump!

One of the Regulars FountainPenGirl's Avatar
    I just thought I would jump in here. Lets not forget Kerosene lamps. Dad's folks didn't get electricity until 1939 and Ma's folks didn't get it until 1943 and that wasn't a sure thing. At Grandma's when I was a kid if one cloud went over the power went out so the Kerosene lamp was a normal part of life. I've become somewhat of a lamp collector myself. I have some flat wicked lamps and have been getting interested in Aladdin Lamps with the mantles. As I'm writing this I'm sitting next to a Model 11 Aladdin made between 1922 and '28. The Aladdins operating at normal brightness are as bright as a 60 watt bulb plus they warm up the house. I still light the house mostly with Kerosene.

I'm rather surprised that this thread is not much bigger than it is; I'd argue that lamps are the most visible (pun not intended) of all electrical inventions, rather the ability to illuminate is what separates us from the previous form of existence wherein you got up and went to bed primarily based on the sun's movement.

But more than that, anyone who's ever worked on a movie set or for a ride design company (particularly Disney Imagineering) knows that the way a scene is lit will do far more to affect how it looks (and therefore its feel) than what's actually in the room.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    Anybody else here big on 'Gone with the Wind' Lamps? I love them and am slowly phasing almost all my lighting out in lieu of them. Weird, I know.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.