Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Crofut & Knapp Tales

This should be one of those caps:

Impressive, I must say!

Quote Originally Posted by Philip K Nelson

I remember my grandfather, Phil Knapp, telling me about a special order from General Douglas MacArthur; the top generals of World War II were permitted to design their own, distinctive uniform. For Eisenhower it was the short fitted jacket; for Patton the silvered helmet, pistol belt with twin pearl-handled pistols, cavalry boots and trousers. For MacArthur the effect was all in his hat; a peaked officers hat highlighted by gold-dyed beaver fur embroidering the entire hat band, surmounted by an embroidered eagle and finished off with “scrambled eggs” on the visor; that plus his corn cob pipe and aviator dark glasses completed the effect. Mac Arthur placed an order with C&K Hats for a dozen of them at a cost of sixty dollars each, a large sum in 1941.
    And that wasn't the only order he placed. I've got a story in my files that MacArthur contacted the Cavanagh Park Avenue store, in 1943, I think, and placed an emergency order for a hat replacement, as he didn't have any left to wear. They had all either been worn to death or left behind during the course of the war. I'll have to dig out the story to get the details right.

Nice to know the first part of the story, because I couldn't tell for sure that MacArthur was a C&K customer, but just had assume he was prior to ordering the replacement.

Brad
    Keeping alive the Hatting History of Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, and Cavanagh since 2004. Visit my blog, The Hatted Professor.
    New website under construction at TheHattedProfessor.com!

Wow, the vest correction does up, doesn't it?

Brad
    Keeping alive the Hatting History of Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, and Cavanagh since 2004. Visit my blog, The Hatted Professor.

Thanks a bunch

Dreispitz posts a picture of MacArthur's hat that blew me away- the only closeup I had was from the Getty file. I was going to buy it but there registration site is a dog- I could find no was to describe my self, a retired OB-Gyn now botanical gardens photographer- so I gave up.

Then Brad comes on with a follow-up to the C&K hat purchase by MacArthur. Talk about synergy!
    PKN

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Philip K Nelson
    Dreispitz posts a picture of MacArthur's hat that blew me away- the only closeup I had was from the Getty file. I was going to buy it but there registration site is a dog- I could find no was to describe my self, a retired OB-Gyn now botanical gardens photographer- so I gave up.

Then Brad comes on with a follow-up to the C&K hat purchase by MacArthur. Talk about synergy!
    PKN
    That's what's so great about this place!
    It pays to look well ....
    " Truth , Justice and the American Way "

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 'H'
    That's what's so great about this place!
    Pooling our resources, isn't it great?

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bowers
    Pooling our resources, isn't it great?

Brad
    Youp, international, multilingual, interdisciplinary, .... fun!

Purely dopaminergic !

Thumbs down

"for Patton the silvered helmet, pistol belt with twin pearl-handled pistols, cavalry boots and trousers"
    Uh, those were IVORY handled pistols...only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry pearl-handled pistols, or at least that is what George C Scott said in the movie...
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

Quote Originally Posted by gtdean48
    "for Patton the silvered helmet, pistol belt with twin pearl-handled pistols, cavalry boots and trousers"
    Uh, those were IVORY handled pistols...only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry pearl-handled pistols, or at least that is what George C Scott said in the movie...
    Honi soit qui mal y pense!

Quote Originally Posted by gtdean48
    Unsure of the quote, but of the ivory I am fairly certain. Pearl makes a lousy gun grip.
    Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.