Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: US Marines and USMC reenactors?

Quote Originally Posted by EwaMarine
    What about the belt for the WW2 Alphas????
    Where do you find one of those???
    My husband made his own, and dyed it the proper color.

Here are a few new shots. These were taken at Fort Richardson WWII living history weekend in Jacksboro, Texas, February 20.

USMCWR Corporal typing recruitment forms, with Marine Lt.

And here is my husband in his USMC impression based on his grandfather, although unfortunately we didn't get any photos taken together! (He also just finished putting together his WWII USMC dress blues!)

The neatest part at the event was a lady and her brother who came up to me and recognized my uniform - their mother had been a Platoon Sgt in the USMCWR during WWII! They said she lied about her age to enlist and then left the service when she turned 18 as the Corps found out and gave her the option of being discharged. She was going to get married anyway as her husband was USN coming home from the war, so she left. Her children said she wore no makeup except the bright red lipstick until the day she died.

Couple more, taken last weekend. My husband and our friend Brandon in their USMC dress blues. Brandon's officer blues are originals, my husband is wearing the WWII Impressions blues, with original cap and all original awards, chevrons, etc. I am dressed as US Navy WAVES in these photos.

Quote Originally Posted by EwaMarine
    I was a 2531 with the Marines from 92 till 01...spent most of my time with the force reconaissance community...
    Miss the gang!!
    I run a small air museum aboard former NAS Barbers Point and MCAS Ewa.
    big into living history only bummer is its not big here....

Trying to get US Marine reenactors to come to Hawaii for the 100th Centennial of Naval Aviation in 2011. If anyone is interested, let me know...It might involve getting on a C-17 or a CVN or LHD from NAS North Island..
    The plan would be to come over with the naval warbirds and set up shop next to them while here like at the Reading airshow....

SF
    Bradster
    In my youth I was acquainted with Al Engle, a pioneer aviator who, after learning to fly at Hammondsport in '09. He purchased a Type E "Triad" in early '10, and subsequently worked on and off for Curtiss as a demonstrator and instructor. Mr. Engle was the instructor sent with the first A-1 purchased by the Navy, and was recognised as the first Naval Aviator at the celebration of the half-century of Naval Aviation in 1961.

Mr. Engel told a funny story about the celebration. The Navy had built a replica Type E ( the Civillian designation of the A-1) with the intention of using it in a fly-by at the ceremony. When the unit was tested, the pilot (needless to say an experienced test pilot) felt that the machine was nearly uncontrollable, and was unsafe to fly so near the grandstand full of dignitaries. Mr. Engle allowed as hoe he had probably flown more hours in the A-1 than any man living, and that he thought that he could handle it (this at the age of 81!) Of course the Naval officers present were horrified, and a different pilot was found to take the wheel at the celebration.

For all you who know me I am a U.S. Marine. So to the ones that dont, I do rate to wear the uniform. Now that the formalities are out of the way, here are the pics. I am wearing WWII Dress Blues and Charlies, I dont have ribbons on the charlies because I just wanted to take a quick pic and its late night. Also I might point out My NCO Sword and the Original WW2 Eye glasses. I am still married to the same beautiful woman that watched me march across the parade deck all those years ago.

This is me fresh out of BOOT MCRD San Diego Ca. back in the 80's.
    Semper Fi!

New forum member reporting aboard. Served in the Marine Corps from 1978 to 2001.

I'm currently putting together a WW-II Marine Corps khaki uniform and have some very specific questions regarding the actual uniform regulations from 1943 through 1945. An e-mail or PM from anyone willing to assist me would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by obxgyrene; 05-20-2011 at 03:58 AM.

I guess this thead is made up of older posts that have been now revived. Very interesting photos of historical USMC uniforms. I notice some are being worn by folks that I assume never served. Never understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    I guess this thead is made up of older posts that have been now revived. Very interesting photos of historical USMC uniforms. I notice some are being worn by folks that I assume never served. Never understood that.
    I have no problem with it and I just retired after 27 years. ANYONE who has a love of military history and DOES IT RIGHT I feel should honor the men and women who served during WW2. Our unit portrays USAAF ground crews and almost ALL of us have or STILL are serving and we all welcome the ones who didn't with open arms.

Tsgt. Scott Dunkirk (RET)
    Msgt. Scott Dunkirk
    401st BG
    615 BS
    Reenacted
    AZGCLHU Inc.

http://arizonagroundcrew.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/groundcrews/

(IYAMYAS)

Quote Originally Posted by cco23i View Post
    (IYAMYAS)
    What does the "M" stand for? I've seen "O" before used for Ordnance-Air. Just wondering.

"If You Aint Maintenance You Aint Sh*t" That's what it stands for.

Scott
    Msgt. Scott Dunkirk
    401st BG
    615 BS
    Reenacted
    AZGCLHU Inc.

http://arizonagroundcrew.org/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/groundcrews/

(IYAMYAS)

Quote Originally Posted by cco23i View Post
    I have no problem with it and I just retired after 27 years. ANYONE who has a love of military history and DOES IT RIGHT I feel should honor the men and women who served during WW2...
    My thoughts exactly. I did 23-years in the Marine Corps and have no problems with it--unless an individual uses the uniform to misrepresent their background for personal gain (as in "poser").