Advertisements
Page 505 of 961 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515555605 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,050 of 9610

Thread: Show us your TIES

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    I wear them all the time. Nobody says boo. If I wear a plain stripe or solid then they would think I was going to a funeral.
    I'm not afraid of boo-sayers. I'd be afraid of shrieking back at me after catching a glimpse of my frenetically betied(sic!) self in the reflection of a shop window. That's my main concern. Honestly.

Pretend that you owe me nothing and all the world is green.

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I'm not afraid of boo-sayers. I'd be afraid of shrieking back at me after catching a glimpse of my frenetically betied(sic!) self in the reflection of a shop window. That's my main concern. Honestly.
    If it doesn't shriek, it ain't worth wearing.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    TT, do you know what date these Tootals are from ?
    i know more about American ties than Brit ones. i think i have a grand total of (drumroll) 3 Brit ties. one is a Tootal 'Green Quality' similar to the above.
    HBK: I'm afraid not. The brown and green ones I posted both feel quite early. Maybe 30s or 40s? The red one is later, it has a lining, is narrower and is lined - so I'm guessing early 1960s? Part of the problem is that the labels hardly ever change.

I'm sure someone out there must have some Tootal catalogues from various dates. If so, I would love to see some details posted.

Marco: In answer to your question, I'm afraid I don't know what the various 'qualities' of Tootal tie refer to. There are Gold, Silver, Green, Black, Boys, Sports, Standard etc. My immediate observation is that it is the weight of the fabric. The standard quality ties are quite light. The gold quality ones are heavier and the ones I have seen are lined.

Let's hope there's an expert out there, flicking through the pages of an old Tootal catalogue, just waiting to answer our questions.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but is my nothing."

Rank & File: A British Cinema Blog

If it doesn't shriek, it ain't worth wearing.
    I, like Mario, am rather afraid of my ties 'shrieking': I am happy for them to make a calm statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    I, like Mario, am rather afraid of my ties 'shrieking': I am happy for them to make a calm statement.
    That leaves several eras of ties out for you then. From 1946-52 and anything from the 1970s.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

That leaves several eras of ties out for you then. From 1946-52 and anything from the 1970s.
    Not a problem in the UK, 46 to 52 was still predominantly calm. Even the 70s produced plenty of ties for the older market that had no intention of shrieking. (It's just a case of finding the damn things)

Quote Originally Posted by Two Types View Post
    Not a problem in the UK, 46 to 52 was still predominantly calm. Even the 70s produced plenty of ties for the older market that had no intention of shrieking. (It's just a case of finding the damn things)
    Finding anything is the toughest part when you have time, decay and people who think making quilts out of ties is a good idea out there against you.

L.A., where your waiter from today will be on casting call tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I actually - and very seriously - pondered the idea of buying this one. I would put it in the back of my closet and only look at it by candle light in the dead of night when everyone is sound asleep so I wouldn't have to be afraid of any disturbances. You know...I'm pretty sure all my neighbors are watching me already...
    Take a chance, Mario...
    1. John 3:16, 17
    2. Dress to please yourself, but do take others into some consideration.

-Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Widebrim View Post
    Take a chance, Mario...
    What was that movie where everyone was living in black and white until someone found color? We need to move people to Bold Color and patterns.

What was that movie where everyone was living in black and white until someone found color? We need to move people to Bold Color and patterns.
    Pleasantville, and that was my life before bold ties too!