Page 1 of 913 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your TIES

Practically Family
    I'm from Santiago, Chile, but am now living in Los Angeles.

Show us your TIES

In homage to Matt Deckard, whose "Show us your suits" thread has been viewed more times than any other, we offer all Loungers a place to show off the '20s-'30s-'40s ties they love (or love to hate). Our only criteria is that these ties be from the decades cited above, and that you show them to us. The ties can be yours, someone else's, or just something you've found in a photo or seen in a film.

-- Marc and Veronica

Practically Family
    The following are my FAVORITE 1920, '30s, and '40s ties from my collection.

The crepe silk tie below is from the tail end of the 1920s. It's an extraordinary example of a distinctly '20s Deco design, as opposed to the later Streamline Moderne. I wear this tie with a cream linen suit and a cream shantung silk suit.

The '20s tie below was made by Sulka. This is the fabric that Sulka was famous for: a luxurious combination of satin and watered silk. I've been told that this fabric is no longer made: it was just too complex and expensive to continue being produced. The color is a deep purple. It's a stiff silk that makes a rustling sound when one ties it. (I should mention that in the later '20s, Sulka ties were wider than was the prevailing fashion.)

The early 1930s silk tie below was also made by Sulka. I'm just blown away by the "pop art" pattern, nearly 3 decades ahead of its time. You can put yourself into a trance trying to identify the faces: I'd swear that one of them (at the bottom right, just above the tip) looks like a bespectacled Bert Wheeler, from the early '30s comedy team of "Wheeler and Woolsey" (who kept RKO afloat in those years). I can't seem to wear this tie with anything ... but who cares!

This '30s silk tie below is from Cheney Cravat's "Game Birds" series: it's supposed to represent pheasants, and has an almost Japanese feel to it. It has the magical ability of matching practically every suit color known to humans. The only color it doesn't seem to go with is brown. I love this tie!

Below is the strangest 1940s tie I've got. All silk. From the very late '40s, it's what I call a "jazzbo" or "bebop" tie: I just can't imagine anyone but a jazz musician wearing it! Take a look at the knotless "knot".

-- Marc

"A List" Customer
    Can I see a pic of the wool knit tie you guys had displayed with the cricket suit. I have some frayed edge thirties ties, those are my favorite. I'll post pics soon.
    God Bless you too, Jim Carrey Veronica Parra

www.treasureofthetemplars.com

Man, those ties are ATOMIC ties!

My Mail is Forwarded Here flat-top's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Riser
    Can I see a pic of the wool knit tie you guys had displayed with the cricket suit. I have some frayed edge thirties ties, those are my favorite. I'll post pics soon.
    I have several of those frayed edge ties as well, all wool and unlined. Most of them were deadstock when I found them. Are they thirties? I could never guess the date on them!
    flat-top

Those ties have such beautiful colors and designs. I haven't worn a tie since I got married (almost 6 yrs. ago) but those ties make me want to "tie one on" --sorry, couldn't help myself! Modern ties are so dull in comparison.

This may be a rude question, if so please excuse my asking--but are these expensive to collect? Thanks for the pics. Best regards, Sefton

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Riser
    Can I see a pic of the wool knit tie you guys had displayed with the cricket suit?
    Actually, Dan, the tie we had displayed with the cricket suit is a silk knit tie from the 1940s. Below is a photo of it:

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefton
    This may be a rude question, if so please excuse my asking--but are these ties expensive to collect? Best regards, Sefton
    Sefton, none of these ties cost me more than $10. I found them all in thrift stores and inexpensive vintage clothing stores in L.A.

"A List" Customer
    I have been looking everywhere for square edged ties. I have a 1944 Montgomery Ward catalogue that has a tie almost identical to this one. I only find 1950's square edged ties. I need to go hunting with you guys.
    God Bless you too, Jim Carrey Veronica Parra

www.treasureofthetemplars.com

Scandinavia- location, location, location
    Modern knit ties (silk or wool) are square ended, as are some vintage military ties- USMC and British Army for example, although the colour selection is khaki or green.
    The mohair military ties are quite nice though and make a nice knot.

The modern knit ties can substitute the vintage item in a nice ensemble...
    ...natural/cream linen suit with a white shirt and cream knit tie is nice and adds a nice textural touch to the fairly subdued monochrome. Striped knit ties were quite popular in the '20s/'30s.

I've been looking for more than a year for a cream coloured knit tie to no avail.
    Quite ironic, considering my first ever job was working for an accessory and millinery company- all the silk knit ties, hankies, scarves... I could grab... never did...

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.