Page 2 of 945 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your TIES

"A List" Customer
    There is a cream knit tie about a block down from my house at a thrift shoft. It's squared 1950's cream colored. I think it's $1.50. And shipping, depending on where you are is probably $5 for priority mail, I'd be happy to pick it up for you today and ship it to you. Believe me I know what it's like trying to find ties you want.

Personally I am not a fan of modern ties because of the length. My favorite squared ties are the 20's and early 30's. Matt Deckard has a great loose knit frayed edge tie he purchased from Art Fawcett. It is, quite simply, my favorite tie.

Pics of my ties to come.

and Belly Tank let me know if you want the tie. It might be sold now, but I was in there two days ago and it was still on the rack.
    God Bless you too, Jim Carrey Veronica Parra

www.treasureofthetemplars.com

Scandinavia- location, location, location
    A kind offer indeed-
    Is it silk?
    How wide(approx.) is it?
    Let me know and maybe you could grab it for me...
    I can't argue with a buck and a half-

If you put it in a normal envelope it wouldn't be too costly to send to me.
    I'm in Denmark. I can Paypal you.
    Send me a PM if you need-

Thanks great big bunches!-

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

"A List" Customer
    It is of average width, the difference is in the length, the fifties ties started to get longer, the fathers of the modern tie unfortunately.

Tell you what, if I go and it isn't a silk knit, I'll discard it, but if it is, I'll pick it up, run to the post office then PM you for what the shipping cost was to Denmark. So go ahead and PM me your shipping address.

And if you happen to stumble across an original 40's Casablanca promotional tie let me know

Practically Family
    I'm from Santiago, Chile, but am now living in Los Angeles.
    Brocade (woven silk or rayon) ties were very popular in the 1930s. Here are some of my favorites:

For some reason, it's very difficult to find black '30s ties with a pattern. The one below looks very Deco to me.

If you look closely at the teardrop paisleys in the tie below, you'll see stylized sea creatures with eyes, fins and tails.

Below is a tie whose pattern deliberately mimics stained glass cathedral "rose" windows.

Radio waves in a '30s tie? You bet.

The following two ties are not brocades. The first tie is hand-painted with bamboo stalks and leaves; if you look closely, you can see the artist's signature. The second tie is printed with stylized birds. Both ties were made in Japan (for the export market) before World War II. They're made of very thin silk crepe.

-- Marc

"A List" Customer
    Art Fawcett and I had a conversation about black ties from the thirties, and one of the theories we share is that black ties, like light colored ties, are difficult to come across because it was very difficult to conceal a stained black tie, so they would be thrown out.

Those are beautiful ties. I recently sold a "radio wave" green pattern tie. I never liked the color green until I found a 1939 double breasted dark green suitf, and now I'm in love with green. I'm kicking myself for parting with that tie.

I love patterned and themed ties, but lately I have been interested in conservative ties.

Beautiful collection Marc. By the way did you receive my PM? I think I may have to empty my inbox.

Scandinavia- location, location, location

Speaking of Paisley...

...many are mystified at its origins:
    The name 'Paisley' is from the place in Scotland where the pattern became famous on locally made woollen shawls and the like. The Scots stole it from the Indians, where it was already centuries old, along with the name 'Cashmere'- Kashmir, where the pattern and the goat wool was common.
    The Paisley pattern is actually a stylised Mango, although it has been reported as being a cashew, or a pine cone... kinda looks like a sperm too but I don't know if they had that kinda magnification that long ago....

Some people seem to think Paisley is Evil...
    http://www.demonbuster.com/paisley.html

The images in the above posting won't load on my PC...?

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

Distinguished Service Award Lauren's Avatar
    In the town of Paisley in Scotland there is actually a paisley museam. I meant to get over there but I didn't get a chance.

Like BellyTank said, Paisley was not where the pattern was originated from (it was actually in India that I believe the current pattern originated). When the British were in India in the 1700's, they would bring back shawls for their wives and daughters. Of course, these became a status symbol, so textile manufacturers in Britiain picked up on the trend and started manufacturing them for much cheaper in towns like Edinburgh and Paisley. The paisley shawls came back into fashion in the 1850's and 60's when India became under the power of Britain under Queen Victoria, the chic fabric for them was out of Kashmir. They made robes for men and women out of this pattern and fabric as well in the 1700's, then in the mid 19th century.
    http://wearinghistoryblog.com
    "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

Practically Family
    I'm from Santiago, Chile, but am now living in Los Angeles.
    Paisleys are nice. Let's see some paisley ties.

In fact, let's see any ties to speak of.

C'mon, gents: show us your ties!

(Just a friendly nudge.)

-- Marc

One Too Many
    I must be a pervy or something, or maybe with New Orleans on TV all of the time, but I thoroughly was shocked to read "SHOW US YOUR TIES" if you know what I mean.
    The Panama Hatworks of Montecristi- in the Panamas biz since 2001

Suspended
    Okay I'll share.

I pulled out a few from the closet. Mostly 1950's. Also is my Doris Day Tie! They're all thrift store finds.

Shamus