Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanishing cream and cold cream?

Practically Family Kitty_Sheridan's Avatar

Vanishing cream and cold cream?

Are they the same? I'm reading an article in the 1939 Film Review book and it talks about vanishing cream a lot! Can you still buy it? I know you can stil buy cold cream.
    You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down..

http://katiespitfire.livejournal.com/ (just joined!)

Not the same - I believe Vanishing Cream is so called as it vanishes into the skin as it moisturises, whereas cold cream sits on top of it and cleanses!
    My vintage fashion and lifestyle blog: Diary Of A Vintage Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty_Sheridan
    Are they the same? I'm reading an article in the 1939 Film Review book and it talks about vanishing cream a lot! Can you still buy it? I know you can stil buy cold cream.
    I don't think they are the same. Cold cream is for cleaning your face/removing make up. Vanishing cream is a moisturizer.

My hubby uses a vanishing cream after shaving because the liquid aftershaves always burn his skin. This soothes his skin and softens it. He likes the Lucky Tiger brand:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WWAU1U

I'll Lock Up
    And depending on the vanishing cream...some have 'skin tone evening' properties, but this is not in the fundamental definition of 'vanishing cream' which is called that as Fleur says, because it absorbs into the skin.
    They say ignorance is bliss, but it really just means you failed to learn.

Practically Family Kitty_Sheridan's Avatar
    That sounds more like it, the article suggests that one uses vanishing cream and a dab of rouge for everyday wear!
    Thanks for solving the conundrum....
    You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down..

http://katiespitfire.livejournal.com/ (just joined!)

New In Town
    I know I'm (very) late responding, but I came across this online and I think the mystery is solved at last.

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/vanishing-cream.php

And here I always thought vanishing cream was something meant to make spots vanish! Thanks for the info, ladies!

Hi there

As it happens you still can buy it..
    I have started manufacturing a 100% natural version, in a pretty vintage style glass jar - it's based on an actual recipe from the 1930's.
    Only downside is that I am in NZ - but I will post and Im trying to keep the postage as low as possible.
    my site is www.queeniemay.com
    x

Suspended
    I had to explain to my daughter the other day why I call conditioner cream rinse.
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Jake, it's Chinatown. [/FONT]

Boots used to make a rose vanishing day cream, in their vintage apothecary line. I believe you can still order it from their website. I loved it and still have a jar at home, from when they sold the line at Target. It is a lightweight moisturizer that "vanishes" into the skin, as someone else said. I did find it made a great primer for makeup.