Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Pompadour Question

  1. #1
    One of the Regulars Jezebel_Amazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    112

    Pompadour Question

    I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this:

    I am in dire need for help right now! I need a legit diagram for a classic mens pompadour (it can be a modern one) If not.. I need step by step instructions for how to cut one. I usually freehand my boyfriends cut and fix where ever it needs it... But now I need actual steps for it..

    If any of you Barbers/Hairstylists could help, I would be forever greatful! <3

  2. #2
    One Too Many Chas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On "The Street" - 52nd Street, any time between 1935 and 1955.
    Posts
    1,681
    Check the Rockabilly sites; I'm pretty sure you can find a "how to" page somewhere.

    I used to use a golf-ball sized dollop of pomade; work it in and comb in thoroughly. Some guys used to use hairspray as well.

    Failing that, ask your local Rockabillies- there are lots of them in FLA.
    "Sweet & Hot" ~ Jazz, Swing, and Rhythm & Blues - CiTR 101.9 FM podcast!

  3. #3
    Call Me a Cab Mr. 'H''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland, Ireland
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel_Amazon
    I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this:

    I am in dire need for help right now! I need a legit diagram for a classic mens pompadour (it can be a modern one) If not.. I need step by step instructions for how to cut one. I usually freehand my boyfriends cut and fix where ever it needs it... But now I need actual steps for it..

    If any of you Barbers/Hairstylists could help, I would be forever greatful! <3
    I've always loved this one, but not everyone has this kind of hair!

    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    It pays to look well ....
    " Truth , Justice and the American Way "


  4. #4
    One of the Regulars Jezebel_Amazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    Check the Rockabilly sites; I'm pretty sure you can find a "how to" page somewhere.

    I used to use a golf-ball sized dollop of pomade; work it in and comb in thoroughly. Some guys used to use hairspray as well.

    Failing that, ask your local Rockabillies- there are lots of them in FLA.

    I've searched endlessly... and sadly Rockabilly music in South Florida doesn't really exist. The guys I see at shows have long hair that's just slicked back, not pompadours.

  5. #5
    One of the Regulars Jezebel_Amazon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 'H'
    I've always loved this one, but not everyone has this kind of hair!

    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7WwSdwu6SVg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    Thank you for this Mr.H. But i was searching more for an actual cutting guide not a styling guide. I need it to be pretty legit... It's for a project. I've cut many but I'm going more by eye than anything and I doubt it's the right way.

    I usually cut the sides shorter than the top, scissor over comb the verry bottom to taper it. And the Top I cut into a wedge like shape. After that i cut the sides of the top to blend with the actual sides . Is this even right?

  6. #6
    One Too Many Guttersnipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,674
    Try searching for instructions for cutting a "fade." A fade is a clipper cut where it's shorter at the back and sides while being longer on the top and in front. The severity of the fade is determined by the number (which refers to the size of the guard used on the clippers). The smaller the number, the shorter the hair.

    Almost every guy I know who has "vintage" hair, whether it be a clean-cut 30's side part, or a big greasy pompadour, gets some variation of a classic fade.
    Who says the golden era has to be tasteful and dignified?

  7. #7
    Call Me a Cab Mr. 'H''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland, Ireland
    Posts
    2,110
    Jezebel_Amazon - my barber blog should be of help to you - just ckick on the silver tagline at the bottom of this post:
    It pays to look well ....
    " Truth , Justice and the American Way "


  8. #8
    Practically Family
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mandeville
    Posts
    636
    You might try these instructions for the short back and sides, courtesy of HadleyH:

    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ns-haircut.gif

  9. #9
    One Too Many Chas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    On "The Street" - 52nd Street, any time between 1935 and 1955.
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel_Amazon
    I've searched endlessly... and sadly Rockabilly music in South Florida doesn't really exist. The guys I see at shows have long hair that's just slicked back, not pompadours.
    Wow. That's a surprise. I would have expected a more vibrant scene down your way. For a different thread, I should think.
    "Sweet & Hot" ~ Jazz, Swing, and Rhythm & Blues - CiTR 101.9 FM podcast!

  10. #10
    One Too Many TomS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Connecticut, USA.
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttersnipe
    Try searching for instructions for cutting a "fade." A fade is a clipper cut where it's shorter at the back and sides while being longer on the top and in front. The severity of the fade is determined by the number (which refers to the size of the guard used on the clippers). The smaller the number, the shorter the hair.

    Almost every guy I know who has "vintage" hair, whether it be a clean-cut 30's side part, or a big greasy pompadour, gets some variation of a classic fade.
    I think your right. The "temple fade" or "fade" (or variation of) seems to be the quintessential haircut of the 1940s.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •