Advertisements
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to go to the restroom whilst wearing foundation garments...

How to go to the restroom whilst wearing foundation garments...

Advertisements
    So I didnt think this would go so much under the corsets, & underpinnings thread as Ive noticed more recommendations and this is more of a question...

Whilst wearing corselettes, open bottom girdles, & basically anything with garters holding up your stockings...
    How does one use the restroom?
    Do you unhook? Is there some sort of trickery for this maneuver? .
    Whats the best way to go about this?

You wear your undies *over* your underpinnings. That way all you have to do your normal routine when doing to the loo.

Actually, I think this could be a good Q&A thread on how do you do *that* type of thing in vintage wear.

LD

i can see how that could work whilst wearing a garter belt... but what about corselettes and long lined open bottom girdles?

The common underwear in the Era was loosely-cut tap pants that fit over the girdle -- not low-cut like modern versions, but full cut, waist high, with a fairly deep crotch and flared legs. Ample room to pull them up over a girdle.

(You didn't see this in catalog photos and magazine ads because, obviously, it would cover up the girdle and defeat the purpose of the ad...)
    Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. -- Clifford Odets

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine
    The common underwear in the Era was loosely-cut tap pants that fit over the girdle -- not low-cut like modern versions, but full cut, waist high, with a fairly deep crotch and flared legs. Ample room to pull them up over a girdle.

(You didn't see this in catalog photos and magazine ads because, obviously, it would cover up the girdle and defeat the purpose of the ad...)
    Of course, you can also undo the rear garters and flip up the bottom of the girdle if you prefer to wear undies underneath -- it's not as complicated as it sounds, and once used to it, you can do and undo yourself pretty quickly.
    Go out and fight so life shouldn't be printed on dollar bills. -- Clifford Odets

Distinguished Service Award Lauren's Avatar
    What? Go to the bathroom? Vintage girls back then didn't *do* that.

You know, I've got to admit that LizzieMaine's suggestion works good for me. After wearing "normal" underwear all my life it was an adjustment getting used to the way that vintage undies and tap pants feel... kinda breezy!
    http://wearinghistoryblog.com
    "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2

My Mail is Forwarded Here Miss 1929's Avatar
    I've never really seen the point of wearing both panties (of any kind) and a longish girdle, except maybe in super cold climates. Since there's a slip over the girdle, that covers any bumps of garters. So no panties makes it a lot simpler.
    That being said, I still do have to unhook the back ones and flip up. Some of my skinny friends just push the girdle down and pull it up as if it were panties - but with the tensile strength of the girdle over the avordupois, that doesn't work for me at all.

I tend to wear nothing under girdles but knickers over the suspender belt, which is never how it's portrayed by sellers. I was shocked to hear that some girls don't do this - my best friend asked me how I wore stockings every day when going to the loo was such a chore and was amazed by the suggestion that she put the belt on underneath!
    My vintage fashion and lifestyle blog: Diary Of A Vintage Girl

"A List" Customer *martini*time*'s Avatar
    I'm with the other ladies, over top is key! In my OBG, i just wear nothing under it or over it. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to go to the bathroom. With my garter belt, i wear big ol' drawers over top of it. then all you have to do is pull them down and you're good to go! I would love to get a pair of tap pants but the ones in stores around here (they're maybe more of a modern cut) seem to be too tight. I want something like Lauren said...something more "breezy"
    Don't you look pretty in those tight clothes all painted up like trash.

I don't bother with tap pants - nice ones are too expensive, they're too hard to find, and under tight clothes, they defeat the purpose of the long, slim line that the girdle creates. I know some of us like to wear undies underneath OB girdles - and thongs are perfect. They create no lines, and to go to the bathroom, all you have to do is pull it to the side. Super easy!

With garter belts, yes, absolutely wear your undies over the belt!
    Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Mo, catch a Hepcat by the toe...