Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ELC Pearl Harbor Time Worn A2 fit

One of the Regulars
    the Aero and Eastman both seem to have one common feature, the body panel doesn't cinch into the waistband. I am not a proponent of the modern day A2, with the potatoed waist area, but the flat joint between the leather and waistband on the Aero jackets bothers me, it kind of nullifies the purpose of the waistband, such that the waist flanks out sideways as well as sticks out at the front. This may be the unique Aero Beacon cut, but it is problematic.

I never knew this until today ! And I thought there was only one size.

With regards to a repo Monarch A-2 jacket , this was also included in the description :

" It's a wartime size 40 & not a modern size 40" !

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by regius View Post
    the Aero and Eastman both seem to have one common feature, the body panel doesn't cinch into the waistband. I am not a proponent of the modern day A2, with the potatoed waist area, but the flat joint between the leather and waistband on the Aero jackets bothers me, it kind of nullifies the purpose of the waistband, such that the waist flanks out sideways as well as sticks out at the front. This may be the unique Aero Beacon cut, but it is problematic.
    I agree about the waistbands on ELC. The knits go slack very quickly. PapaM's pic is a perfect example:

I have sold on my ELC A2's for that very reason.

However, I don't have a problem with Aero. I've had my 42-15142P for a couple of years now, and all the knits are tight - the waist cinches perfectly.

One tip - if you are gonna do hot water treatment on an A2, don't get the knits wet. That WILL slacken them

One of the Regulars derleicaman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by regius View Post
    This has always been my problem with ELC A-2 jackets as well. The knits are weak and seem stretched out, even with the new ELC Monarch I purchased from HPA. My Aero was much better with tighter knits. My ELC A-2's seemed to be like an open ended tube in the torso and just didn't fit right. I have not had this problem with my Goodwear A-2 jackets. They fit much better in the waist and arms/sleeves. I sold all of my ELC A-2's on. I tried to learn to love them with at least four jackets, new and used in a one year period. None of them ever fit right on me. Amazing that they seem to have a hard time getting this basic fitment issue right. I have never had any of my Goodwears made for me, having purchased direct from John from his sight or off other forum members, but the fit of the torso has never been a problem or an issue.

One Too Many
    Here's a pic of the back of my last ELC (Monarch Warhorse - beautiful hide). As I hope you can see, the knit is pretty much doing nothing, other than hanging off the bottom of the jacket...

Here's a similar pic of my current (2 years old) Aero 42-15142P, with what, to me, is a much more elastic looking knit, that actually seems to have some effect on the bottom cinch...

Just for completeness, here is the front of the Aero. Again, a nice cinch, particularly at the very front near the zip...

My apologies for the blurry pics, particularly of the Monarch
    Last edited by majormajor; 01-03-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Not to sound like a total fool but... have you all made the folks at Eastman aware of this, what I consider at least, major problem with their A2 jackets? Have they responded? Do they visit this forum?

Worf

My Aero-made Bronco is now 5 years old (I have babied it a bit) and the knits still stretch. I've not done the hot water treatment, nor have I intentionally allowed it to get soaked as eventually the wool can lose some of the elasticity. With my background in textiles, I can only speculate that the yarns used in the Eastman knits are not as dense (meaning, less fibers in the yarn, not spun as tightly) based on my comparisons with my Eastman A2. It's a factor of economizing production, not spinning the yarns as tightly making them less dense, using less wool and thereby making the resulting knit less optimal.

And yet an ELC costs the same as the superior Goodwear and more then an Aero. If ELC wants to be considered in the same elite class as other premier makers, they ought to produce better knits. Their cuffs and waistbands have been a detracting issue for years and have not yet been improved.

My guess is they try to compensate with Crown zippers?

One Too Many
    I almost took my ELC Monarch to Aero for some new knits. With hindsight, I wish I had. Other than the knits, it was a fabulous jacket.....