Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fooled by a hat store?

Familiar Face

Fooled by a hat store?

Purchased a Borsalino fedora at a local hat shop(that I will not name yet) and I was looking for a dark grey. They only had one that was too small and said they could stretch it.After this was done it fit better and they said with wear it would loosen up a little more. They boxed it and I took it home. On the way home I ran a few errands. By the time I got home and tried it on again it was already too tight! Then I looked closer and the brim did not seem right either(possibly from the stretching?) I also found in the brighter light a slight imperfection on the front-top side of the brim.

I am going to bring it back for an exchange. What do all you Hat Gurus think?
    Will they give me flak? Do I have any chance of getting an exchange(obviousley not for the same hat...I may even except a store credit).

Yep, I'd return it immediately, the sooner the better. And I'd ask for refund in kind (cash, credit card, whatever), not just store credit. Any reputable hat vendor knows that hats rarely 'loosen up' with wear. Best case, you had an ignorant salesperson - worst case, you were knowingly sold a pig in a poke to clear out inventory. Either way, I think they should make it right and try to get you in a hat you want, and that fits properly.

PS - I've never had a stretched hat stay stretched. I once bought a straw hat in the same way and it had shrunk back by the end of the day. Luckily it was a $30 hat, and it wound up fitting a friend so it didn't go to waste. I wouldn't be so amused if the same thing happened with a Borsa, however.

Yep, I'd go back and speak directly with the proprietor. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Sounds like the stretch tweaked the hat a bit too. I'd be looking for my $$back especially with that level of investment.
    If you paid by charge you probably have some protection there as you can dispute the charge if the store won't help.
    Good Luck!
    The Panama Canal
    The Gun Club
    Open Road Guild
    Conversion Corral
    The Stratoliner Society

Did your salesperson happen to be one of these fellows?

"don't worry about it sir, it'll loosen up with wear"
    "With his light brown derby and his bright green eyes he was quite the handsomest of men"

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by Caity Lynn

That was my first thought when I read that as well.
    Hats do not loosen up with wear. They might even tighten up with wear.
    I have stretched hats with good results but it takes more than just putting it on a stretcher dry.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

I agree with the others. Go back and get a refund. I hope it was only a naive salesperson, and that you weren't knowingly deceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Caity Lynn

Thanks for sharing that Caity Lynn; I love that show!
    “Something doesn’t ring up right, but for two-hundred fish and expenses I’d play footsies with a cobra.” Richard Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by chum
    Purchased a Borsalino fedora
    That should have been your first clue that something was wrong.

Familiar Face
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty
    That should have been your first clue that something was wrong.
    Enlighten me.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chum
    Enlighten me.

Thanks for the replies!!!
    I think this gentleman was referring to the quality of most modern Borsalino fedoras... I'm no expert, but from what I've read, it isn't impressive. Someone else can elaborate, perhaps?
    Romans 10:9
    Sincerely,
    J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by J B
    I think this gentleman was referring to the quality of most modern Borsalino fedoras... I'm no expert, but from what I've read, it isn't impressive. Someone else can elaborate, perhaps?
    We don't have many experts, save for the hatters and shop owners, we just have a lot of people with experience handling hats old and new, as both owners, shoppers, and friends. In terms of new hats, if you stick around just a little while, you'll see that Borsalino is just selling a name these days, that Stetson is a shadow of what it used to be, and that the rest of the classic American makers are pretty much gone. The hats taper, bleed die, have bad finishing work (obviously sewn ribbons, glued rather than sewn liners, bad pouncing - that's the sanding of the felt) or just bad, loose felt. I've got a newer Borsalino that I bought before I knew better.

For a new production hat, check out all the threads on Akubra. I don't have one, but they seem to have a lot of satisfied customers here. If you really know what you want and don't mind the cost, order a custom from Art, Optimo, the Adventurebilt guys, Major Moore, Gary White, or anyone else I've forgotten that has great reputation here. Otherwise, go vintage.

Check out the New Hats, What are You Wearing, and Ebay threads. You don't see a whole lot of new Borsalinos and Stetsons for a reason.