Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: (KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

Hi

Of all of the swords through time, the Cutlass and Patton's sword are the two I think I would find useful carrying. The cutlass is probably as good a tool as a weapon.

Just my $0.02 and not worth that really.
    Mike

Groucho Marx said it best:
    “Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying all the wrong remedies.”

Here's a knife I made under the guidance of an 89 year old man, using his tools in his shop. He had about five sanders set up, each with a different grit, and another five motors, two buffing wheels on each.
    The wheels were charged with a series of polishing compounds, coarse to fine.

It took over 4 hours start to finish, including cutting the steel blank, the grenadillo grips, and the brass tang. Mostly, though, I remember standing in front of grinders, sanders, and polishers for what seemed like a minor eternity.

A very memorable afternoon.

He called it a "skinning knife." I put it to work now and then skinning vegetables and fruits on road trips.

Thanks for lookin'!
    Randall

My Mail is Forwarded Here Stearmen's Avatar
    Not the prettiest knife shown hear, but it gets the job done. I bought the blank over 30 years ago and made the handle my self, it's from a Juniper bush. It is extremely hard wood, I sanded it with a power sander and 60 grit paper, at the point you see it now, the new paper only burnished the wood. I have seen sparks coming off chainsaw while cutting these bushes, high silica. As you can see, the knife resides on the back side of my Posable Bag, a jack of all trades. I forgot to add, there is no finish on the handle, just natural patina!
    Last edited by Stearmen; 12-06-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Suspended
    nice shooting bag, and a perfect patch knife
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Jake, it's Chinatown. [/FONT]

Nice work, Stearmen. I've never worked with juniper, but considering its environs, I'm not surprised by the mineral hardness you describe.

Did you make the bag?
    Randall

My Mail is Forwarded Here Stearmen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randooch View Post
    Nice work, Stearmen. I've never worked with juniper, but considering its environs, I'm not surprised by the mineral hardness you describe.

Did you make the bag?
    Some one had started it, I just finished it. I didn't bother to square off the back pouch, works better that way as it turned out.

Bark River Woodland Special Stag handle with matching fire starter...
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

Suspended
    very nice, indeed
    [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Jake, it's Chinatown. [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog1935 View Post
    very nice, indeed
    Thanks bulldog. In search of leather laces for the lanyards.

BTW, should knife lanyard be long enough to go on your wrist or just to help tug it out of the sheath?
    Last edited by gtdean48; 12-09-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

Quote Originally Posted by randooch View Post
    Here's a knife I made under the guidance of an 89 year old man, using his tools in his shop. He had about five sanders set up, each with a different grit, and another five motors, two buffing wheels on each.
    The wheels were charged with a series of polishing compounds, coarse to fine.

It took over 4 hours start to finish, including cutting the steel blank, the grenadillo grips, and the brass tang. Mostly, though, I remember standing in front of grinders, sanders, and polishers for what seemed like a minor eternity.

A very memorable afternoon.

Thanks for lookin'!
    Hey Randall do you recall the old timers name? Are you a member of the OKCA?
    Peace, Mike

Vote for Pedro.