Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Khaki - Clothing the Vintage Adventurer

All Things Khaki - Clothing the Vintage Adventurer

I was thinking that, since we're now in 'The Great Outdoors', maybe we could be a bit more specific about the clothing aspect and distinguish it from 'gear', which might, as we've seen, refer to anything from a truck to leather gaiters.

Anyone else feel like getting [more] into khaki?

Currently wearing WPG khaki trousers, army surplus Aertex shirt (Czech, apparently), and white canvas jacket in the hope that it'll get a bit hotter later.

Don't feel compelled to focus on all clothing in this one thread. Plenty of room to spread out and have a thread for a specific item.

khaki freedom

Oh, how to use this new freedom?

Consider this is a preliminary call for khaki, then...

Khaki is maybe the most flexible of military wear in a civilian context... Given that I'm too big for most vintage and the very limited nature of most 30s/40s repro, I think carefully selected pieces of repro military wear can help a lot. Cotton drill is especially attractive, given its sheer practicality: wool trews are all very lovely, but the dry cleaning bills get a bit much sometimes...

In terms of *adventure* type gear, I have one of the WPG RAF desert safari jackets, bought through Soldier of Fortune UK last year. I bought it for a jungle themed costume event. Very pleased with it, though I've not quite had the nerve to wear it otherwise as of yet. I am developing mad notions of going some year on one of those hiking holidays along the Great Wall, and can see me doing that in full vintage-style adventurer attire... Certainly a very practical jacket, with all those pocketses...
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Repro military khaki is a great way to get kitted out relatively inexpensively for adventuring, and...

...for loafing about being unadventurous.

Original vintage military khaki is way better (more durable fabrics, finer cut), but sizing can be a problem and there's nothing wrong with getting out there looking good in clothing that's readily available and up to the task.

Nice old khaki bits and pieces come my way infrequently: I'm very tall and not at all the shape catered for by quartermasters of old.

Scandinavia- location, location, location

Get into Kharki!

B
    T
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

I like khaki in pants and skirts. I must say it is a rare khaki shirt I find appealing, on me.

Is this khaki exclusively or olive drab as well? Because I do adore olive drab.

I sure hope girls can play in this thread too.
    All travellers must visit wardrobe before departure. And that goes for you especially Trevor. You've created a hell of a stink back in 2010 wearing those bloody silly goggles of yours and that hoodie. - Smithy

Quote Originally Posted by Viola
    I sure hope girls can play in this thread too.
    Absolutely!!

That is an amazing-looking lady, a favourite pic of mine.

Looking good in jodhpurs is one of those things you just can't fake.
    All travellers must visit wardrobe before departure. And that goes for you especially Trevor. You've created a hell of a stink back in 2010 wearing those bloody silly goggles of yours and that hoodie. - Smithy

Quote Originally Posted by Viola
    Is this khaki exclusively or olive drab as well? Because I do adore olive drab.
    Olive drab is khaki's twin: have a look at a book called Khaki Drill and Jungle Green, which has been mentioned in the old Adventurer's Gear Thread.

No reason why there can't be a separate OD thread, though. Why not create one right now?