Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Jack View Post
    I'm afraid the chin strap isn't a chin strap at all; it's just a decoration. In fact, if you pull the chin strap down, it is inside out, which not only shows that it is vinyl, not leather, but also puts the buckles the wrong way against your neck, which is not comfortable.

I can't verify that it is actual pith or not, though it feels like it through the cloth. The suspension is actually stapled to the helmet, which I doubt would take any real wear before pulling out. I can't tell if the staples are folded over or not, but it doesn't seem like it, and I didn't want to pull very hard!

In all, I don't think this helmet would stand up to real wear. I bought it for a murder mystery dinner, thinking it might also be good for real use, but after wearing it around, I discovered I really didn't like it much!

If you are open to other styles, I have two suggestions that work pretty well for me. The first is this helmet:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/french-pith-helmet.html

It has the cotton suspension, with the cotton-wrapped sweatband. The cotton on the sweatband is very thin, but it does keep sweat from flowing down into your eyes when a vinyl one just pools the sweat on your forehead until you take it off, at which point it streams straight into your eyes! The downside of this helmet is that it is also a bit on the cheap side, and may not take any real wear. I've worn this for short trips out to the field, but not for days at a time and it has held up, but I'm not sure how tough it is. It is also quite wide. It looks a bit like I have a serving platter on my head!

The second option is the military helmet (http://www.armynavysales.com/product...i-pith-helmet-). I wear one of these all the time at work, and it is great. I've modified it two ways, however. I've used my tent awl to attach cotton webbing to the vinyl sweatband to make my own suspension, and I've added an M-1 helmet sweatband (http://www.charleyssurplus.com/army_...iner_sweatband) which just clips right to the vinyl sweatband. It works great! The only don side is that the leather sweatband makes the helmet smaller. I wear a 7-1/8, and it fits perfectly, but I don't know how much larger it will go. An alternative to the M-1 sweatband is the terycloth removable (and washable) sweatbands they make for hard hats (http://www.constructiongear.com/haha...FUxxQgodbi4Atw). I've never tried that, but have thought about it.
    I used to be a welder and always used the terry covers, saved that line round your head at the end of the day.
    VM

New In Town
    So in that case, how is the village hat shop version of the foreign service pith?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/britis...met-khaki.html

Looks kind of 'full-dress' to me. Mine is the khaki color, much better in the bush.
    Sarge
    www.thesportinggentry.com
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

One of the Regulars Edward_Lindey's Avatar
    I have one and the "Headband" is very cheap. IT has an adjustable back but is mounted with plastic that became very brittle.

Edward

BB, the Village Hat Shop's example is only going to fit to a size 7 3/8. If your hat size is a bit larger than that, I'd go with the IMA helmet. I have the IMA helmet and it fits my pumpkin head (7 3/4). I bought mine for shooting with the Victorian Riflemen, and unlike Mohave Jack, I didn't have any problem with it when firing from the prone position.
    \l/
    ( oo )
    ----0000--U--0000----

Kilroy was here
    Member of the Vintage Camera Club

New In Town
    Quote Originally Posted by KilroyCD View Post
    BB, the Village Hat Shop's example is only going to fit to a size 7 3/8. If your hat size is a bit larger than that, I'd go with the IMA helmet. I have the IMA helmet and it fits my pumpkin head (7 3/4). I bought mine for shooting with the Victorian Riflemen, and unlike Mohave Jack, I didn't have any problem with it when firing from the prone position.
    My head size is slightly smaller (around 7 1/8). Will it still work?

One Too Many
    Hmmmm....facepalm or stroke of genius?

Pith Helmet Lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
    Hmmmm....facepalm or stroke of genius?

Pith Helmet Lamp
    Agggggg!!! heresy
    VM

Beyond facepalm. Grieving outrage, more like.
    Sarge
    www.thesportinggentry.com
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

I've decided that I want a USN pith helmet to wear while I'm mowing grass this summer. I'd like it to be complete with a decent sweat band and I'd like the helmet to be in wearable condition. I'm not terribly concerned about whether or not it has a chin strap because I probably wouldn’t use it if it were there. I know very little about USN pith helmets except that they were issued in WWII and maybe through the Vietnam conflict. This helmet will be for me to actually use doing sweaty yard work, so I'm not looking for mint condition.

I see them on e-bay in the fifty buck range. Too high? About right?

AF
    The South: Heat and Spanish moss. A Strange hot land of courtly manners and sudden violence, elegance and anger.