Thread: Aero Zippers, Antique or Not?

New In Town

Aero Zippers, Antique or Not?

I'm about to order an Aero Half Belt in Brown FQHH and I was wanting everyone's opinion on whether to get an antique brass zipper or just get the normal brass zipper and age it the natural way?

Personally, I'd go with the bright brass and let it age with the jacket as the jacket will look new anyway.

Brown FQHH in a HB is a fantastic choice.
    It pays to look well ....
    " Truth , Justice and the American Way "

Although Aero's own branded zipper is an excellent choice in terms of quality and durability, I am not too convinced by their antique finish. It looks cheap to my eye. If it has to be brass go with the shiny finish....but don't expect it to get really dull. It more or less stays that way. My Aero jackets are all fitted with their dull nickel finish zipper which looks excellent even on all sorts of brown leather. If it has to be a brass zipper you should ask what kind of vintage zippers they have available in raw uncoated brass. I am pretty sure that they can offer you a brass Talon or Conmar which will age nicely.
    Thanks,
    Jan

"Out into the cool of the evening strolls the pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams begin and end there."

I don't think I've ever seen the Aero zippers with antique finish... could someone here post a picture of it?

I agree with Mr. H... since the jacket is going to look new then go with a normal brass zipper.

I like the antique brass. Or more precise - I dont like the shiny ones.

They do look made antique, and not really aged, but I like them anyway.

"A List" Customer
    I've got jackets with each and i have to say that I prefer the shiny - once it gets dulled. The 'antique' ones look very phony. If that's your taste then go with it.

I'm waiting on a russett brown goatskin Half belt long with A-2 collar and snaps and internal windflap and I'm getting that with the shiny zipper.

Horses for courses really but dulling a shiny brass zipper is quick and easy if you run your thumb and forefinger over your greasy face and then rub your fingers on the shiny brass.

Dave
    Don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks for the picture, Griff.

While we're on the subject of Aero zippers, has anyone here ever considered removing the leather pull tab that's attached to the main zipper? I'm considering doing that for aesthetic reasons.

New In Town
    Thanks guys, Jan when you say asked for raw and unfinished does that mean that the Aero zips have a coating on them?

The Aero branded zipper is really of excellent overall quality and was basically introduced as an option to the sometimes failing Talon zipper. The teeth appear to made from raw or galvanized brass whereas the slider and the pull tab are die cast parts and therefore likely to be made from solid zinc. I am pretty sure that those parts are also galvanized i. e. nickel/brass plated and oxidized for the antique finish. The shiny brass zipper stays quite shiny and bright and the surface doesn't really get dull so it's likely that it is somehow protected against corrosion....probably a clear powder coating?

Navin, if you don't like the tab just cut it off. But it is there for a reason. Try to close your jacket with half frozen or really wet fingers. Then you'll appreciate the leather pull tab.

With every Aero jacket I've ordered so far I've also ordered a piece of the same leather it's made from to cut my own pull tabs which are styled after Eastman's M422a tab. It's longer with a bell shaped bottom.
    Thanks,
    Jan

"Out into the cool of the evening strolls the pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams begin and end there."

Quote Originally Posted by JanSolo
    The Aero branded zipper is really of excellent overall quality and was basically introduced as an option to the sometimes failing Talon zipper. The teeth appear to made from raw or galvanized brass whereas the slider and the pull tab are die cast parts and therefore likely to be made from solid zinc. I am pretty sure that those parts are also galvanized i. e. nickel/brass plated and oxidized for the antique finish. The shiny brass zipper stays quite shiny and bright and the surface doesn't really get dull so it's likely that it is somehow protected against corrosion....probably a clear powder coating?

Navin, if you don't like the tab just cut it off. But it is there for a reason. Try to close your jacket with half frozen or really wet fingers. Then you'll appreciate the leather pull tab.

With every Aero jacket I've ordered so far I've also ordered a piece of the same leather it's made from to cut my own pull tabs which are styled after Eastman's M422a tab. It's longer with a bell shaped bottom.
    That's a great point about the pull tab. Do you have pics of the custom pull tabs on your Aero jackets that you can share? That's a fantastic idea by the way, Jan... sehr gut!
    ---------------
    Proud owner of the following leather jackets:
    2014 Aero Brown Front Quarter Horsehide Route 66 Jacket
    2010 Aero Black Front Quarter Horsehide NYPD Jacket Dedicated to my deceased police chief grandfather
    2013 Diesel Hoje Cafe Racer Leather Jacket
    2014 Custom Turquoise Collared/Zippered Leather Car Jacket from India
    1960s Custom Turquoise Shields (Toronto) Café Racer Jacket with padded elbows