Page 112 of 208 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 2073

Thread: Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Near the World's Largest Outdoor Insane Asylum
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEraTom View Post
    The 4.6 I had in my 2000 and 2003 P71 Vics outperforms the 5.0 in my Colony Park by a mile. It would actually give the LT1 in my Fleetwood a run for its money.
    Of course they outperform a car weighing nearly 1,000 pounds more---they had better. The Colony Park had a 351 or the 460 for a reason---it was all metal and HEAVY.
    Cadillacs over the past twenty years have not been known as speed racers either. The 80s Cadillacs had abysmal performance engines in their big cars. They finally stepped it up later but the performance for a heavy car was still not good.
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    Well, I thought the 260 hp LT1 350 that, minus the heads, is identical to the engine in the Corvette was a reasonable powerplant.

Well, yes, the pre-'79 Colony Parks were monsters. Mine's a '90 and while big by today's standards, not a particularly large car.

Quote Originally Posted by jamespowers View Post
    Of course they outperform a car weighing nearly 1,000 pounds more---they had better. The Colony Park had a 351 or the 460 for a reason---it was all metal and HEAVY.
    Cadillacs over the past twenty years have not been known as speed racers either. The 80s Cadillacs had abysmal performance engines in their big cars. They finally stepped it up later but the performance for a heavy car was still not good.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicEraTom View Post
    Well, I thought the 260 hp LT1 350 that, minus the heads, is identical to the engine in the Corvette was a reasonable powerplant.

Well, yes, the pre-'79 Colony Parks were monsters. Mine's a '90 and while big by today's standards, not a particularly large car.
    Ok, then you have a much smaller Colony Park with all kinds of weight saving aluminum and plastic in there.
    Then again, the Vic has lots of weight saving aluminum as well. The hood and trunk on those are aluminum aren't they?
    People think they are so rebellious and original, when really they are just banal, boring and dumb.

If Crown Victorias have aluminum hoods and trunks, I'd be surprised. Otherwise, it wouldn't be safe to park one outside in most areas. Scrappers are voracious and brazen when it comes to aluminum, copper, and brass.
    All hat, no Packard.

My Mail is Forwarded Here splintercellsz's Avatar
    Here are some projects that we are now beginning.

1949-54 Chevy
    The white cab was given to a friend for a trade as he just wants the roof, so he gave us all the parts you can see in the bed. The rusty cab & bed are for the truck we are building.

We dropped the truck & parts off at another friends who will be doing some body work & assembly for us.

The truck's chassis.

'48 Plymouth
    My dad picked this up awhile back, so he can build a '48, just like his dad (my grandfather also owns a '48 Plymouth). We are slowly beginning work on it. When the weather warms, we will fully look into it, as it ran when it was parked (1998 I believe), and the front wheel is locked right now.

This is my grandfather's '48 Plymouth (mentioned above, just wanted to share it as well). He gave it this paint job as a temporary hold-over untill he painted it the real job... 15 years ago. He is slowly beginning work on it again, but with his new house, he doesn't have the time... so sooner or later, the pop and I will be helping him out as a surprise:

I seem to have acquired quite a serious fever... and the only cure is more hats!
    Best Wishes,
    Justin

Items in the Classifieds:
    WTB: 1900s - 1940s Fedoras, Homburgs, Westerns, Caps, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/justin.seagraves.98

Quote Originally Posted by David Conwill View Post
    If Crown Victorias have aluminum hoods and trunks, I'd be surprised. Otherwise, it wouldn't be safe to park one outside in most areas. Scrappers are voracious and brazen when it comes to aluminum, copper, and brass.
    From Popular Science 1992:
    A significant introduction was the replacement of the 5.0 L and 5.8 L Windsor V8 engines with the overhead-cam 4.6 L Modular engine; aside from the similar Grand Marquis and Town Car, no other American sedan in the Crown Victoria's price range offered such an engine. The lighter Modular engine, along with an aluminum hood, contributed to the reduced weight of the 1992 model.
    And another one from 2005:
    For the 2003 model year, the chassis was again redesigned with hydroformed steel. The front and rear suspension were also completely overhauled. New inverted monotube shocks were now used (replacing the old twin-tube shocks that had been used since the 1960s). In the front, new aluminum control arms, and rack and pinion steering (replacing the recirculating ball units) have been implemented
    Lighter engine, lighter hood, aluminum suspension parts etc, etc. Have at scrapping the heck out of them. Perhaps you had better keep this to yourself.
    This is all the stupidity car manufacturers go through to meet CAFE standards for cars. Sure the car is the same size but they make them out of aluminum cans now.

One of the Regulars Carl Miller's Avatar
    I had a 9C1 in high school. It was beat and well worked over by the time I got it, but I banged it straight-ish and drove it for 3 years until the 4 speed auto gave up the ghost. That car would eat a 'Vic ALIVE at Wednesday night drags on "Top The Cops" night.
    Last edited by Carl Miller; 01-26-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    Just got an update on the Plodge -- everything is done and ready to go except for the exhaust manifold. They've been having trouble getting the Desoto/Chrysler type required by my Canadian engine, and the one they thought they had got damaged by the guy who was trying to get it off its original engine. So now they advise they've found one in North Carolina and it has been shipped and is en route, and barring another unfortunate mishap it should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. And then, at long last, she'll have a whole new engine, the brake job will be finished, and it'll be ready to roll.

Except we're supposed to get more snow this week and below-zero temperatures. So I won't be driving it home.
    Lizzie I still have some genuine Canadian manifolds, the ones I have are from the fifties. I know the earliest ones had the exhaust outlet at the very back, then they moved it ahead 3 or 4 inches. If you can post a picture of your old one I will see if I have one to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Miller View Post
    I had a 9C1 in high school. It was beat and well worked over by the time I got it, but I banged it straight-ish and drove it for 3 years until the 4 speed auto gave up the ghost. That car would eat a 'Vic ALIVE at Wednesday night drags on "Top The Cops" night.
    The Malibu, the Caprice or the Impala?

Incurably Addicted AtomicEraTom's Avatar
    The Caprice 9c1's are awesome cars. I just disliked that bubble bodystyle. I think they could have done better, but the Aero Crown Vics that were around at the same time were even more horrendous.
    -Tom N.

I tell it like it used to be.