Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Pocketwatches

Pocketwatches

Here's some pictures of my pocketwatches.

This is a 17 Jewel Hamilton 974 from 1928. It is a 16 size, and has a 10k gold filled case. It keeps excellent time.

Here's pictures of the 23 Jewel model 922 Hamilton made in 1931. It's just *slightly* smaller than the 974 in the above pictures. The inscription on the back of the case says "Presented to Charles Huff 4-3-1931 By WM. Brown Co. For 20 YRS Faithful Service" The case is 14k white gold filled.

Side by side with the 974.

Case opened.

If anybody is interested, the 922 in the bottom pictures is going up for sale. I'd like $300 for it. If I get no bites here, it's going up on ebay.

Thanks a bunch for looking.

Pocket Watches

As of late i've become enamored with old gold-filled pocket watches. I seem to remember hearing Elgin as a prominent brand. Do y'all have any recommendations? Things/prices to watch for on eBay?

Thanks,
    Josh

Elgins are nice, but I particularly like old Hamiltons. I currently have a 1927 Hamilton 974 (18j, 16s). I recently sold a 1931 Hamilton 922 on ebay. The 974 is worth about $200, and the 922 is worth about $300.

If you have money ready to spend, I recommend talking to Michaelson to see if he knows anybody that wants to sell one, as he's better versed in them than I am.

One Too Many

Who makes good Pocket Watches these days?

Who makes good Pocket Watches these days? I am looking at one to wear with a tux or suit, real nice one.
    Member of Dumpster Divers International Since 2006

One of the Regulars

Good question,

and I'll be interested to see the replies. Michaelson should chime in, though I suspect he will recommend finding vintage ones. Which would be okay, if they work well. I spend a fair amount of time looking at pocket watches on eBay, though I really don't know what I'm looking at.

So, gang, how about some thoughts on pcoket watches?
    ...without a Respectable Navy, Alas America!"
    Captain John Paul Jones, 17 October 1776

I have one modern brand pocket watch. It is the Colibri brand. It is mechanical (wind up) and keeps good time. I am not especially happy with the "look" of it but it gets the job done. Sorry no pic..

I would recommend vintage! Very nice watches can be found that will give years of serivce. Here are a few I have..

Another reason for vintage is the watch chain! The chains that come with modern pocket watches are plain. You cannot pair a vintage pocket watch with a modern chain!!
    You need something like these..

New In Town
    Currently back in the cornfields of midwest Ohio
    I second the vintage option. You can get very nice, servicable, vintage watches without breaking the bank. I've always hated having anything around my wrist (my grandfather is the same way), so I've carried a pocket watch since high school. Here are my two current "everyday" watches:

The one on the right is a model 83 Waltham, Size 18, 11 jewel, coin silver. Big hefty common-man's watch, manufactured about 1900. Wonderful condition and runs like butter. In my opinion, a good price would be $75-100 in similar condition.

The one on the left is a 17 jewel Hamilton, 1914 manufacture, gold-filled case, much nicer. It is a dressier watch then and now. I'd have said it's worth about $175-$250, and a search turned up a nearly identical one here for $200.

I got mine at antique fleamarkets, shops, etc, but there are of course, a plethora on eBay as well. Shop around, you'll find watches from $30 to $3000.

I just love the thought of carrying around a timepiece that was manufactured and in use while, say, the Wright brothers were perfecting flight

Incurably Addicted
    I was recently at a watch show in Geneva and I saw several pocket watches that were being offered by some of the top Swiss makers. I recall Patek Phillippe having a few but they may have been for special order. Truthfully, there were so many watches there that my recollection is but a blur.

http://www.baselworld.com/ca/bt/tnz/

The Great "Looking for a Pocketwatch" Merged Thread

I've been looking at pocket watches a lot lately.

I'm thinking a nice pocketwatch with a nice belt chain would
    be a nice addition to the wardrobe.

I was wondering if anyone here ever uses/wears one.

Any suggestions as to style/size/brand names?

Thanks.