Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to wear a wrist watch?

According to Wikipedia (?) the Speidel Twist-O-Flex came out in 1959.

Tom
    "The German today is like a June bride. He knows he is going to get it but he doesn't know how big it will be." General Richard "Windy" Gale to the 6th Paras just before D-Day

WWII Airmen's Preservation Society
    http://www.wwiiaps.webs.com/index.html

Thanks Sarge, I looked at that site, noted that date as well, but am not sure if the Twist o Flex was their first expandable bracelet band? Sure looks as though you've nailed it down. Thanks again.

One of the Regulars Unlucky Berman's Avatar
    Whatever matches the watch and looks good with it comes onto it. Mostly I use vintage or vintage like straps in brown with golden buckles because they look nice and more authentic on the old Hamiltons. I like the old pig-skin or calf-skin straps of that era and they were mainly used if you look onto the old ads and catalog pictures. But I also have some white gold watches and like steel or silver imho the best color for them is a nice black one.

Regarding clothes and what color, well since I have white and yellow golden ones, I just take the watch that fits best But then I really do not care if the strap color matches my shoes or belt. Normally no one seeing my watch is looking onto the shoes or the belt.

For me a more interesting question is: Do you wear it left or right? Just curious, since I wear it on the right wrist and there are not so many doing this.
    ----

Nothing personal, it is just business.

Practically Family
    Although there have been times when I matched my watch to my shoes, I don't bother, and from what I can see most other people don't either.

It almost hate to say it, but in a business setting or out in the evening you probably ought to be wearing black shoes.

Got an email back today from Speidel and they say their first, "scissors" xpansion band came out in 1936, the twisto flex, just as Sarge said, '59. I wear it left wrist, crystal down, brown leather most of the time. Still not completely weaned from the pocket watch.

i tend to match belt/shoe color, but that's just personal preference.

whenever i see "mismatched" bands, i just assume the watch has sentimental value "as is".

i've worn a Benrus (reissue) or CWC G10 on a regimental band (Royal Engineers), in honor of my uncle's service in WWII, with formal attire:

My watch is solid black and metal - one of those Citizen Ecodrive Nighthawk watches. I wear it with everything. Ideally I'd match all my metals too, but well, my sunglasses are gold, my belt buckle is silver, and my watch is black, so for right now, I just hope nobody cares. For the most part, nobody does, and if somebody does, I'm flattered because clearly, they've been looking me up and down for some time with an eye for particulars, and that means I must be worth looking at. Better to be noticed for anything than just ignored.

Familiar Face
    I recently won a solid gold Hamilton Cameron tank-style watch made in 1937 so have been looking at quite a few 1930's Hamilton catalogues lately. It seems to me that the usual practice was for yellow, pink, or green gold watches to come with a brown band and white gold ones to be sold with a black band. As watches were extremely expensive back in the golden era, I would hazard that most people didn't have a different watch for every occasion, nor did they change the band whenever they changed their clothes. My guess is that most people just wore the watch they had. If that meant a brown band with black shoes and belt, or a black band with brown shoes and belt, so be it. Thoughts?

Where are some good places to buy leather straps? I'm looking for a nice black alligator leather strap for a recently acquired Rolex.

This place caught my eye, especially the H-R hornback crocodile model, and the custom made Genesis II. I'm not sure what quality straps generally run, is this a rip-off?
    flute -

Loads of great 1940's/50's/60's fedoras for sale in sizes 7 1/8 - 7 1/4, here.

As a watch collector before a lounger I would say that always a stainless bracelet with a sports watch, brown leather especially grained leathers looks particularly good with gold watches, black straps again look good on gold or silver/stainless watches it is a good idea to try to match the strap to the face/dial too if possible.
    Get a proper tool to swap straps, personally I find wearing a slimline watch or an old 30-50's 'tank' watch is the way to go wiuth evening/dinner dance attire though do be careful if you are an energetic dancer as sweat can easily find it's way into older unsealed watches!
    I have wrist just under 8" inches so it can be a tight fit if the cuffs on an evening shirt are a bit on the stingy side, Luch or Sekonda De-Luxes are a good bet for evening wqear can be found cheaply , look classic and are very good timekeepers.