Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Banana Republic safari jackets

One Too Many

Vintage Banana Republic safari jackets

I just picked up a vintage banana republic safari jacket in primo condition. I was wondering if anyone knew when banana republic got bought out. Its a shame they don't make this type of clothing anymore. It goes great with my brown optimo and my federations.

fedoralover

My dad has one of their old Photographer's Vests that he treasures dearly. I don't think they make those any more either.

One Too Many
    They used to be a safari and adventure supply store, now they're a cross between the Gap and Abercrombie and Fitch. Its a real shame, I've been able to pick up a few of their vintage items and they are really sweet. I've got a kaki shirt and a leather jacket that still have the old tags on them. They don't stock any of those type of items anymore.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
    I have a Us. Wings safari jacket (Bush Jacket) The jacket is great and has held up well just don't put it in the dryer.The price was $59.95
    item # uswl sbj
    http://www.uswings.com/khakis.asp

Vancouver (not B.C), Washington (not D.C.)
    I used to go to Banana Republic. I bought a few of those photo journalist vests for work. I now wished I would have bought a lot of other things too. The Gap bought them in 1988 and within a few years they sacrificed the entire safari theme for trendy clothes for twenty somethings.

That is not only stupid....it is also shameful. They could have started a new line (which is what they did anyway) and let someone buy the company who has will do it justice.

This has happened to a lot of companies. Willis & Geiger, Eddie Bauer has gone main stream, Orvis was bought by Ex Officio (sp) and they have added some strange funky items that worry me.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Banana Republic WAS great. I have an A-2 that I bought 15 years ago and it still looks like new. Their Expedition cloth shirts were first rate. I was cleanning out my house three weeks ago and found 3 of their old catalogs that I had saved. Great art work!
    Regards,
    Forrestal
    "he was good, he was very, very good"

Practically Family Renderking Fisk's Avatar
    I tried to buy all of my clothes at Banana Republic before they went trendy.

Is there ANY outfit out there that's the Banana Republic of our day? Is there any store out there who does the job and fills the niche BR once did?

There is a market for this gear. It's out there?
    Articles, columns and opinion based on The Golden Era - The Fedora Chronicles

Vancouver (not B.C), Washington (not D.C.)
    Orvis makes well made clothes, but they are not as safari themed as BR was.
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"A List" Customer
    I belive either L.L. Bean or Cabelas (or both) have a few stores in New England.

Regards, Daryl.
    High Regards,
    Daryl

When I grow up, I want to be Cary Grant.

The good old days
    Bit off topic, but still old Banana.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2998
    Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE