Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Family Photos

New In Town

Vintage Family Photos

I know I saw a thread on this when I first started lurking early this week, but I'm darned if I can find it now, so forgive me for starting a new one.

Here are some photos of my family. This album is probably where I fell in love with the vintage aesthetic.

Great Uncle George auditioning for the lead in Johnny Dangerously:

If I thought he was buried in that jacket, I'd dig the old boy right up.

Great Aunt Jane:

My grandmother, Lillian:

My dad, at 16:

What a dufus. Why yes, he does look like Kramer. I'm lovin' the pompadour.

Lillian, Jane and George were three of five siblings. I was essentially raised by my grandmother and great aunt, which was a lot like growing up with Abby and Martha Brewster. My grandmother taught me about absinthe, chartreuse and Theda Bara before I was seven. Aunt Jane taught me about poltergeists, how to use a Ouija board, where the holy water was in the house?Ǩshould I ever need any?Ǩand how to French inhale. Sweet old birds.

Now let's see yours!

~ Hiram

P.S. I'm new here; is there a specific place where people generally introduce themselves?
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." ~ Mark Twain

I simply love these photographs. My family's pretty stingy with the prints and would probably have two hemmorhages apiece if I ever posted any photographs anyhow. Which is a shame, an entire suitcase full of them and I was forbidden to go downstairs and look (to be fair, it really wasn't the best time, but I knew I wouldn't back over, they live in St. Louis).

L_H

New In Town
    Thanks.

Honestly, I hate to admit it, but I had to steal our albums in order to save them.

Those who stood to inherit everything simply didn't know how to care for anything precious (think: Jerry Springer candidates). Sure enough, after the girls both passed on, they sold the (1920's) house and everything in it just to pay off credit card debts; the entire estate?Ǩpoof. My daughter found photos and various antique chotchkys in the trash.
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." ~ Mark Twain

I'm truly sorry to hear that, my family isn't really gung ho for appreciating early twentieth century anything. I've essentially exhausted their willingness to tell anecdotes (although I do get lucky on holidays and at family gatherings) because I've asked questions about everything my entire life. But it certainly doesn't compare to selling off the estate in that fashion. Your daughter has a great eye, am very glad she found and saved those photographs.

By the way, I love your uncle's ensemble, especially the way he's wearing his tie. And they all look like such sensible, wonderful, eccentric people to have known.

L_H

I'll Lock Up

Odd that you posted this today...

Since I was helping out with the 'scan the family pictures' project...There are absolute tons of great ones...but here are two of them that I really like..

The above one is my Grandfather, Grandmother and unknown relative or freind.....

My Grandfather again. It is my understanding that he was somewhat of a troublemaker....

Troublemaking ancestors is simply a must. Great photographs.

L_H
    "I gather that Muriel was naive enough to tell her where I got the scars on my wrists, poor sweet baby."-- Seymour Glass

Hiram,
    Those are great! I love your photos and the stories. It seems like most families didn't place much value on these treasures of the past...shame really.

Miss Neecerie, The photo of your grandfather is wonderful...I can believe that he was a bit of a troublemaker by the look. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear a shirt/tie like that. It works on him though. Best regards, Sefton

Your father was quite a sweetie

Not long ago my mother and I found an old container full of old magazines (some dating back from the late 1800) and also some old family pictures! Some even with man in Nazi uniforms..... (I wouldn't have kept them after the war....) We took them all with us, quite a found. But I just don't know how you can throw thing's like that away........

My Mail is Forwarded Here flat-top's Avatar
    Wasn't EVERYONE just cooler looking then?? Even regular folk looked like movie stars! I've got pictures of my grandfather, and he truly looks like one of the most handsome men you've ever seen. People just had a "look", and an attitude that can't be replicated!
    flat-top

Gone Home
    Swell photos everyone! I too would dig up any passed on relative if he was wearing a coat like the one first pictured! I have a dark brown double breasted coat some what like that dated 1941. I LOVE THAT COAT! I wear it lots and well, I can?ǨѢt say I?ǨѢm going to tire of it.

Later, I?ǨѢm going to try and connect this thread with the original started earlier. They should all be together any how.

Thanks for sharing those great photos! I may share some of my others I have later.

=WR=

PS. The last photo of the young man who is the trouble maker, yeah, you can tell just by the way he wears a tie with his collar open!