Page 157 of 158 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1577

Thread: Vintage Family Photos

I was given this the other day and is the first time I'd ever seen a photo of these people, although I'd heard enough about them to feel like I knew them. This is my great uncle and aunt, Joe Padgett and Cora Jimerson Padgett. Cora was one of my grandmother's sisters. Joe and Cora lived next door to my grandparents, and from about 1913 to 1922 Joe and my grandfather ran a store together here in Nebo. There are a couple of pieces of furniture still here in the house that have the shipping label still affixed on the back that reads, "Ship to Brown and Padgett, Nebo, NC."

Here's another old family photo I just recently got. This is my cousin (second cousin to be exact), D.A. Grayson, on the Catawba River dam on Lake James in McDowell County, NC. D.A. worked for a while for Marion Motors, the local Ford dealer. I know this photo was taken sometime in the 1920's, but don't know the exact year. Anyone know the model of the Ford in the photo? My guess is it's a new car, so that would tie down the year the photo was made.

On this day, 20 Decmber 1904, my grandparents, Will Brown and Nora Jimerson Brown, were married. That was 109 yeas ago. They are all gone now, but their memory still lives on.

Last edited by Big Man; 12-20-2013 at 12:49 PM.

If it's from the 1920s, surely that car (if it's a Ford) is a Model A, isn't it?

I believe this to be my great aunt Sue, circa 1917-18

"I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

Taken in approximately 1905, on the left is my paternal grandmother Irena and on the right is her sister Alina. Both were imprisoned as adults in Auschwitz. Alina died there, supposedly of typhus. They were teachers, part of the Polish "intelligentsia" that Hitler attempted to exterminate along with the Jews.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irenaalina.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	11897

And here is Irena with her husband, my grandfather Stefan, in 1920. He was arrested by the Gestapo early in the war and never seen again. Both Irena and Stefan were Poles who were outspoken against the Nazis.

Name:	irinastefan.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	11898

And this is how I remember her (she is seated in the center and that's me, the little blond girl on the far right):

Name:	257214_1872708731531_3305785_o.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	11899

I remember being shushed by my mother when I tried to ask why babcia (Polish for grandma) had a number tattooed on her arm. Babcia didn't speak of her experiences. The other people in the photo are my mother, my siblings and my maternal grandparents. My father was taking the photo, of course.
    Last edited by vintage.vendeuse; 03-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    At the cellular level, I'm really quite busy.

~Donna

Clearly a little later than most of what is posted here but it's what I've got. I found a photo album of my father's that looks like it could be an issue of Life magazine on Puerto Ricans in The Bronx. Indescribably awesome and candid. Families and gangs, weddings, school children and some of the best style I've ever seen. These are of my father, the seated woman is his first wife. I don't know the others.

I know how some of you feel being the guardians of these images. My grandfather left Puerto Rico as a revolutionary either in exile or in hiding (details are hazy) and started a church. I saved his photos and some things he had collected from being thrown away with the trash..even his diploma from '57 and his preaching Bible, printed in Spanish as were all of his notes...for the life of me I don't know how one could discard these things. His diploma hangs beside me where I work.

Please don't copy or repost these elsewhere, thanks.

Sadly, I did not inherit his looks or style. Thanks for sharing your pictures, everyone.

I'm still wading through this thread. So much amazing history. V.V what a moving time line in pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarwater View Post
    V.V what a moving time line in pictures.
    Thanks
    At the cellular level, I'm really quite busy.

~Donna

New In Town
    My father and Grandfather photographed around 1915, near Hampton, Oregon.
    My grandfather was killed 3 years after this picture was taken when a wagonload of lumber he was hauling rolled over on a mountain road near Bend, Oregon.

A picture from a community hike to the top of Glass Butte, which was aboit 5 miles due North of the little collection of homesteads called Stauffer, Oregon that my father's family had settled in after moving West from Wisconsin.
    My aunt Mary is on the far right, and my aunt Nell is in the center, wearing a dress made out of the same material as Mary's dress.
    Glass Butte is so named because it's composed mostly of volcanic obsidian.

Life in the Oregon High Desert was harsh, and after my grandfather was killed, the family moved around Oregon for 10 years or so, then eventually ended up in Pasadena California, so my father could attend Cal Tech in 1928.

Last edited by Carlo; 03-28-2014 at 07:08 PM.