Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161
Results 1,601 to 1,607 of 1607

Thread: Vintage Family Photos

One of the Regulars vintage.vendeuse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BR Gordon View Post
    My uncle Allen "Foozie" Gordon in the early 1930's. He was a Vaudevillian.
    Fab!
    ~Donna

Current avatar: Mom, 1960

http://www.ebay.com/usr/vintage*vendeuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mojito View Post
    They're gorgeous - I went away to google her after seeing these images, and noticed there's a lovely shot of her [Komako Sunada] with Mary Philbin for sale on ebay. Have you posted about her before on the lounge? Any family stories about her career?
    I shall soon be the proud owner of that photograph for I just bought it on eBay tonight.

"I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

Dad and Mum on their honeymoon in 1956

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mum Dad honeymoon.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	16505
    “Suits are full of joy. They're the sartorial equivalent of a baby's smile.”
    - Barney Stinson

This is my great uncle, Briscoe Brown, standing on the front of the locomotive (first on the left). I know he worked as an engineer at some point either just before WW - I or just after. Can anyone here identify the type of locomotive in this photo and help narrow down the date?

I cannot help with the date or the locomotive ID, but, WOW, what a photo. That is a great family photo to have, Big Man. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
    Harv Smith

Great picture indeed.
    Maybe this is relavent?
    http://www.cljnews.com/20100619engin...he-mb-railroad

Quote Originally Posted by Big Man View Post

This is my great uncle, Briscoe Brown, standing on the front of the locomotive (first on the left). I know he worked as an engineer at some point either just before WW - I or just after. Can anyone here identify the type of locomotive in this photo and help narrow down the date?
    Since I posted this picture (and also on my Facebook page), I got some more information. One of my friends who is knowledgeable about railroad history said the following:

"This may actually be a picture of your great uncle while he served during WW 1. Baldwin Locomotives built a number of locomotives in the 2-8-0 configuration for the US Army to serve in England and France. The locomotives were designated as Pershings. ..."

Doing some more research on my great uncle Briscoe, I discovered he joined the Army at age 18 in 1909 and served a three year tour. His military record indicates he was an "attendant" at the State Hospital in Iowa at the time of his enlistment. The 1910 US Census has him as a private in the Army stationed in New York. He was discharged in 1912, and returned to civilian life until he was drafted in 1917. His draft card in 1917 indicates he was a "freight engineer". I know he went to France during the Great War, as I have a letter he wrote shortly after arriving there. After the War, he again returned to working at the State Hospital, where he is recorded in the 1920 US Census.

Given all this, the old photo may very well be a photo of my great uncle Briscoe during the Great War.