Advertisements
Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179
Results 1,781 to 1,787 of 1787

Thread: Vintage Family Photos

My Mail is Forwarded Here Big Man's Avatar

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jakes View Post

Big Man, take a look at the date of August 1, 1927

it’s a link & hope that it sheds more light.

Yes, I submitted that information and photos to that website a number of years ago (that's me, William F. Brown, III). The handwriting could be that of my grandfather's, but I'm just not sure. I recall my aunt saying that someone sent the photo to her (or the family?). We didn't have any relatives living in that area, so it must have been a friend of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jakes View Post
    Stearmen...I have bicycles with bigger tyres
    than the ones Ms. Stinson has on her Wright Flyer ...

Four wheels move your Body, Two wheels move your Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Man View Post
    After seeing all those great airplane photos a couple posts earlier, I thought Iíd show one of mine.

This photo of has been here at the house since 1927. It was sent to my aunt Hazel by one of her friends who saw the plane while it was on tour. I remember Hazel telling me about the photo and who sent it to her, but I canít remember the specifics now. I know my aunt was always proud of having that photo.

This is what is written on the back:

It was part of the Guggenheim Tour, to show off Lindbergh! He visited all 48 states. Here is the run down, including Buffalo to Cleveland, Ohio, August 1, 1927! http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/gugtour.asp
    Four wheels move your Body, Two wheels move your Soul.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Big Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmen View Post
    It was part of the Guggenheim Tour, to show off Lindbergh! He visited all 48 states. Here is the run down, including Buffalo to Cleveland, Ohio, August 1, 1927! http://www.charleslindbergh.com/history/gugtour.asp

That much I have figured out. Now all I need to do is find out who sent the photo to my aunt back in 1927. Of course I'm afraid the only answer to that question will have to come from her when I see her again on the other side.

My Mail is Forwarded Here Doctor Strange's Avatar
    I recently got a new scanner that handles film as well as prints. I already had a dedicated film scanner for a while, but it was limited to 35mm slides and negatives - this one can film-scan across its entire flatbed, which will make doing things like 4x5 and 120 negatives a cinch. (Some of you may recall that my parents were professional photographers, so I've got lots of negatives and transparencies in all sizes!) And also 35mm stereo slides, a format that my dad used for family pictures from the late fifites to 1963, when he got our first Nikon (actually a Nikkorex) and began shooting normal full-frame slides.

Anyway, I did some tests with the stereo slides yesterday: the big scanning project of going through the hundreds I have will wait for next winter. While there just isn't the level of image detail that I'm used to in the later Nikon-shot full-frame slides - the stereo slide images are small, and his camera was an amateur model with less-than-razor sharp lenses - these are still priceless!

Here are some great images of my folks from the late fifties, taken in front of their storefront studio on South Broadway in Yonkers, NY:

Inside the studio:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At2ndStudio.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	278.5 KB 
ID:	34452

Dad in front:

Name:	Sid2ndStudio50s.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	34453

Dad with their 1953 Plymouth (note the old trolley tracks on Broadway, soon to be removed):

Name:	SidRiptide50s.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	34454

Mom looking like an Ayn Rand-ish corporate portrait:

Name:	Teddy2ndStudio.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	34455

Vintage Family Photos

My paternal grandparents back in WWII- he was in the USCG, assigned to convoy duty in the Atlantic, and she was a WAVE, USN.

And here's my maternal grandmother sometime in the mid '30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cm289; 08-22-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Incurably Addicted V.C. Brunswick's Avatar
    Dr and Mrs S. Ohira
    May 30, 1927

Mystery photo from my family album. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea who they are.

Edit: I posted this picture on Facebook and someone was kind enough to research and provide me with the following information:

Dr. William Sumiji Ohira, DDS
    Born: November 3, 1887, Nagano, Japan
    Died: January 4, 1959, Los Angeles, California

Gerda Hartwig Ohira
    Born: April 3, 1899, Berlin, Germany
    Died: unknown
    Last edited by V.C. Brunswick; 09-02-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick