Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Jackets

It looks like an old Willis and Geiger but I can't make out the label, even magnifying it a couple of times. It has several posh features that are of dubious value in the bush. Shell loops over the left pocket will weigh down the garment making it uncomfortable to wear for any period. Additionally, if you wear your spare ammo on your jacket instead of on your belt, you have to keep the jacket on even when it's too warm for a jacket. The recoil pad on the other shoulder is laughable. Given the recoil of dangerous game rifles (DGR's), that little bit of padding will make absolutely no difference and the fact that it's made out of padded cotton instead of suede provides no assistance in keeping the gun up where it belongs. Besides, when ol' M'bogo is looking at you like you owe him money from about three seconds away, you won't feel the recoil anyway. Trust me on this one! So it's over featured, and likely over-priced unless you are planning on doing a Stewart Granger imitation and attempting to charm the young ladies. In that case, the expense is fully warranted!
    Sarge
    www.thesportinggentry.com
    Welcome to the Cyber-Shire

Fair synopsis!!
    "Hot ginger and dynamite, There's nothing but that at night,
    Back in Nagasaki Where the fellers chew tobaccy and the
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

An Earl Grey in a sea of Latte...

One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartU View Post

Who makes this example?
    It was a jacket formerly made by J. L. Powell (it only cost several hundred dollars!). Check page 21 of this same thread.
    http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...Jackets/page21

New In Town
    I thought it J.L. Powell because of their use of HDR photography for everything.

Chad

Scandinavia- location, location, location
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_aka_Scotty View Post
    ...here are a few Italian types.

[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]
    Giubba, Giubba Hey!

But Vento, there's more!
    Last edited by BellyTank; 09-28-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Looking with my good ear peeled.

New In Town
    I like Bush jacket especially the finest and most rugged in khaki, Often wear when going out of station.

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    I bought this older Banana Republic safari jacket from eBay (size 42) and it's in great condition and the fit is perfect. I wish I had bought something like this years ago!

"Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett

Great looking find! Is that a leather buckle?

I miss the old BR...

Practically Family Doctor Damage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggers
    Great looking find! Is that a leather buckle?

I miss the old BR...
    The quality of this jacket is quite excellent. The buckle is unfortunately plastic, but at least I don't have to worry about removing it to clean. The flap on the left breast pocket is actually sewn on at an angle, which is evident in the photo, but when I'm wearing it's not noticeable since the cloth bunches up and the jacket slouches nicely. I will probably get a new Filson one in the spring, if my income is still strong and the US dollar still weak.
    "Do you need more oil, or are you greased up enough, honey?" - Sonny Crockett

Yes, that's always the downside to leather buckles on clothing, they get beat up so easily when they're washed. The one time I had my old Burberry dry cleaned, the shop that did it knew to remove the buckles and resew them afterwards -- without my asking. That was over 20 years ago. The place is probably long gone along with the institutional knowledge that they'd acquired over the years.

I haven't seen a Filson bush jacket in a few years. They simplified the pattern and the one I handled at the time seemed to be made from a thinner, softer fabric. The one I have is at least ten years old, has true bellows lower pockets, a shoulder yoke on the back with a center reverse back pleat, and the fabric is the old "stiff as a board when new" tightly woven bush poplin. Have both khaki and green colors. And they both have leather buckles on the belts. On the khaki jacket I removed the line of stitching holding it on and replaced it with a large press stud for ease of removal before washing.