Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cures for the Ailments of Yesteryear

Banned
    Well, butter certainly makes Lefse taste a whole lot better.

2009 July Reminisce Extra: For sore throats this gal's mother would mix Listerine, aspirin, and Mercurochrome.
    She said that the Listerine killed the germs, the aspirin killed the pain, and the Mercurochrome coated the throat.
    She would gargle with it for a couple days, and one way or another you'd get better.

Like the parents of the little shaver below, my mum used Gentian Violet on our cancre sores and other oral issues. It is as highly effective now as it was then- it's been around since the 1880's. Watch your clothes, though.

Toothache = Oil of cloves.

Headache = aspirin (already mentioned) and an icepack (not mentioned, I think)

Nausea = flat ginger ale at room temp. Sugar free jell-o powder in hot water does the trick, too.

Constipation: lots of herbal remedies have been around forever. Louis Armstrong was a great fan of Swiss Kriss: Satchmo's slogan: "Leave It All Behind Ya!"

We used mercurochrome too, sometimes Iodine (YEEEOWW!) and Hydrogen Peroxide. The inner masochist in me was fascinated to watch my wound fizz.

Dad used to put meat tenderizer on wasp and bee stings. It sounds crazy, but it worked.

Colds = chicken soup.
    Last edited by Chas; 10-26-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    "Tous les genres sont bons, hors le genre ennuyeux." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by LizzieMaine View Post
    I know it doesn't actually do anything antiseptic -- but I always found it made it taste better when you suck on the burned place to try and stanch the pain.
    you crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Like the parents of the little shaver below, my mum used Gentian Violet on our cancre sores and other oral issues. It is as highly effective now as it was then- it's been around since the 1880's. Watch your clothes, though.

Toothache = Oil of cloves.

Headache = aspirin (already mentioned) and an icepack (not mentioned, I think)

Nausea = flat ginger ale at room temp. Sugar free jell-o powder in hot water does the trick, too.

Constipation: lots of herbal remedies have been around forever.

We used mercurochrome too, sometimes Iodine (YEEEOWW!) and Hydrogen Peroxide. The inner masochist in me was fascinated to watch my wound fizz.

Dad used to put meat tenderizer on wasp and bee stings. It sounds crazy, but it worked.

Colds = chicken soup.
    Another thing for canker sores: pineapple and or pineapple juice. Stings like mad but it works

More on jello water for nausea: my mom used to give me that but I was so little that I don't remember if it actually worked or not.

Constipation: Smooth Move herbal tea. Drink before bed as the instructions state. But what they don't tell you is not to leave the house before noon the next day.

Headache: pinch the skin between your thumb and palm. Not a grand substitute for say ibuprofen but it can help with sharp pains.

Reflexology: not a bad thing really. If nothing else a good foot massage will help you relax. Unless you hate your feet being touched of course.

What is mercurochrome?

"If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path." Buddhist quote

Mercurochrome is a topical antiseptic; no longer in use because it contains mercury.
    "Tous les genres sont bons, hors le genre ennuyeux." ~ Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Mercurochrome is a topical antiseptic; no longer in use because it contains mercury.
    It certainly sounded suspicious...

"If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path." Buddhist quote

Banned
    Some interesting stuff there Chas and HepKitty. Squeezing that skin on your palm actually works.

Dousing a cut up finger in cold water helps to stop the bleeding.

A word of knowledge: Be careful when making corncob pipes as to not stab yourself under your fingernail, as it hurts tremendously.

Banned
    An ice cold glass of water, surprisingly, makes one go to sleep, as does a hot cup of milk and cheese.

Banned
    Coffee takes the sharp pain out of a migraine, and often enough just do's away with the whole thing.
    Shaving with a brush and soap, along with splashing cold water on your face afterwords makes for a very painless shave.
    Last edited by Derek WC; 12-13-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Anyone remember "Good Samaritan" cream? It was the best for making a splinter come to the surface. Put some on with an adhesive bandage, and in a day or so, the splinter was easier to remove.

I don't remember the last time I saw it a store, though.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek WC View Post
    Coffee takes the sharp pain out of a migraine, and often enough just do's away with the whole thing.
    Shaving with a brush and soap, along with splashing cold water on your face afterwords makes for a very painless shave.
    I firmly believe in caffeine therapy