Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WWII Eccentric Heroes

WWII Eccentric Heroes

BT Started a thread entitled: "Golden Era Adventurers, Explorers and Heroes..." that has led to a lot of fabulous posts and photos.

Picking up on that theme: Name some of WWII's famous, exciting, and ECCENTRIC individuals please! (The more obscure and/or eccentric the better!) Images and/or references are welcome...

MY FIRST NOMINEE:

David C. Schilling. Deputy CO of the 56th Fighter Group under Hub Zemke. Schilling was "handsome, debonair, and as popular with his men as he was with the ladies." Schilling was a Rube Goldberg-like inventor who once built a weapon described as "a cross between a machine gun and a pistol." Schilling eventually took over the 56th from Zemke and had a distinguished Air Force career that was tragically cut short when he smashed his sports car into a stone bridge abutment in England in 1954.

Eccentric WWII heroes... Patton.
    Looking for my Emma Peel.

Matt Deckard Apparel
    Deckard's Guide

END OF LINE

No list would be complete without Greg Boyington.

New In Town
    Got to be Orde Wingate....or possibly Jack Churchill, who,as a commando officer was known to use both Longbow & broadsword in action....

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    Those code breakers at Bletchley Park must have been kinda eccentric. That many mathematicians in one place! My type of hero - one who uses his brain instead of his muscles. So i nominate all the codebreakers at Bletchley, even though i don't know if they were eccentric or not. Anyone know anything about those guys? I mean, were they eccentric? They must have been ... surely ... Anyone??

bk
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

Embellish your posts, gents...

Come on guys... this deserves more than one line posts... let's embellish what you've already posted with photos and justifications!

Suspended

One Too Many
    James Dolittle-Commander, inovator, risk taker, and always think about his men.
    This guy started bombing Tokyo in early 1942 from Aircraft Carriers, this is risking and a new idea, that really scared the Japonisee.

William "Wild Bill" Donovah-head of the OSS, founded modern US intelgence, a nessicary evil (not well liked) and was good friends with FDR. This guy really brought reallable intellenge and other covert opperations to the USA's arsonal. His department was paid out of the President's Emergency Fund, nothing else.

Franklyn D. Roosevelt-president, perserved democracy, and also risked it all. Though he was our president, he had to risk so much to beat the axis powers, like making deals with fomer enemies.

Member of Dumpster Divers International Since 2006

Col. H.F. "Frank" Gregory, his eccentric idea during W.W. II was to have these crazy aircraft no one wanted, called helicopters for the Air Corps.

The guys that were rescued by these vibrating, noisy, contraptions were pretty happy that Col. Gregory thought they'd be useful

Humm..

Jake, Matt, Mycroft, etc. have certainly nailed
    a few great ones, I'll toss my hat in the ring
    and say C. L. Chennault.

SJ
    "I'm a plain ordinary guy from Omaha, Nebraska. Just an old fashioned, everyday, middle-westerner. Why... my Grandfather was a cattle rancher!" Fred Astaire