Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stampede ring / Chin strap

Couldn't see Tom's photos from my work computer, but his last horsehair string photo is exactly what I prefer. They usually come with two loops that you feed up through the hole in the brim, widen them out, and they go around the hat like a hatband. I don't think I'd be comfortable punching holes in a non-western hat though, especially since they come at a premium in my size. Frank

My Mail is Forwarded Here Neophyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frussell View Post
    Couldn't see Tom's photos from my work computer, but his last horsehair string photo is exactly what I prefer. They usually come with two loops that you feed up through the hole in the brim, widen them out, and they go around the hat like a hatband. I don't think I'd be comfortable punching holes in a non-western hat though, especially since they come at a premium in my size. Frank
    That's something I'd be wary of as well!

On a side note, there's one thing I'd like to ask you gentlemen: how easy are stampede strings to install and uninstall?

Ideally, I could look out my window in the morning and judge whether or not stampede strings will be necessary that morning. If not, that's alright, but modularity is something I can admire !
    ---Alexander

I use one with a replica M1911 campaign hat I have, that was made to the very first pattern of that hat.

I wear cowboy hats a lot, and even here in the highly windy region, I don't find them necessary. But on this hat, I originally affixed it as I needed a hat for my son who had outgrown his cowboy hat, and we didn't have time to buy one before we headed out to gather cattle. Since then, I've left it on and as I use it for a fishing/hunting hat, I do find it useful if I need to push the hat off my head and onto my back for one reason or another.

I agree, I rarely use mine also even when windy. I just put it to the back most of the time. It is invaluable when in the boat or on the ATV however.
    Mark

Wise people talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

New In Town

Removable chinstrap on a Akubra Federation IV?

Has anyone done something like this? 85-90% of the time, I would not want a chinstrap, but since this is my outdoor hat, there have definitely been some situations where a chinstrap would have been very useful (hiking near cliffs, horseback riding, etc...). I was wondering if anyone has done this and how I could go about attaching one that could be easily taken on and off. Thanks!

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_i...oducts_id=1148

Don't know why this wouldn't work.
    You can have my girl, but don't touch my hat!

Lyle Lovett

Lyle Lovett

New In Town
    Thanks, I didn't see that strap on their website. It kind of scares me to sew buttons onto my hat. I'm wondering if somehow attaching it to the sweat band would be better?

New In Town
    Ya, I saw the stampede string, wasn't sure it was easily removable and attachable hmmmmmm

I don't know what the David Morgan stampede straps are like. You can purchase them from Western Supply
    Websites with small cotter pins that can be pushed up under the sweat and expanded to hold the straps on.
    I have some on my Western hats.

Lyle Lovett