Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The under-appreciated wool-felt hat

The under-appreciated wool-felt hat

Anybody out there prefer wool-felt hats to fur-felt? Do tell!

Banned
    The only hat that I currently own is a green wool felt. I've never owned a fur felt, so I cannot be the judge of that, however it takes about two hours in an extremely heavy downpour to barely soak through.

Well, here's my wool Jaxon C-Crown fedora I've had for over a year now. I don't really wear it these days, having been wearing fitted sized, fur felt instead...

It's darker than these photos depict. It's actually almost black, charcoal grey I suppose. I wasn't really after that when I bought the hat, this is the color they advertised:

Maybe it's the lighting, but I thought it would be more of a medium grey than dark.
    Romans 12:2
    Sincerely,
    J.B.

I started out with a wool felt hat. It started out as a fedora, and in under a year, because of wearing it in the elements, had shrunk about three sizes, which rendered it unwearable and made the brim go all wavy. The crown had tapered quite a bit as well. Fur felt handles water much better. It is smoother and denser and as such shapes easier, can be thinner, lighter and doesn't need as much stiffener.

As far as trimming goes, because wool felt is cheaper, the trimmings are generally of lower quality than on fur felt hats. Mine had a cloth sweatband and a band tacked on with what looked like fishing line. It was sized S, M, L instead of proper sizes.

From what I can tell, wool felts were fairly common back "in the day". There's a reason fur felt hats have a better survival rate.
    Last edited by Dinerman; 11-17-2010 at 06:55 PM.
    DinerHunter.com - Food
    VintageHaberdashers.com - Clothes
    LowModern.com - Architecture

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good View Post
    Well, here's my wool Jaxon C-Crown fedora I've had for over a year now. I don't really wear it these days, having been wearing fitted sized, fur felt instead...

It's darker than these photos depict. It's actually almost black, charcoal grey I suppose. I wasn't really after that when I bought the hat, this is the color they advertised:

Maybe it's the lighting, but I thought it would be more of a medium grey than dark.
    Not a bad-looking hat, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by danofarlington View Post
    Not a bad-looking hat, actually.
    Yeah? Thanks! It was actually my first type of fedora, really, alongside a faux-Panama hat by Ultrafino Panama Hats (I hear you should avoid them, as they aren't the real deal). I wore it on a cruise ship (with an olive green sport coat and black suit, both of which no longer fit me), and I think for the time, I looked good with it. Also wore it a variety of other places, including my college campus, Disneyland, on a couple of flights, New Jersey, New York, Boston, Portland, Halifax, and even at the Bush Sr. summer residence (well outside of it)... In addition, this hat has gotten me quite a few compliments as well. This hat is very memorable because I have worn it pretty much anywhere, and it helped me to get used to the fedora style.
    Romans 12:2
    Sincerely,
    J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinerman View Post
    I started out with a wool felt hat. It started out as a fedora, and in under a year, because of wearing it in the elements, had shrunk about three sizes, which rendered it unwearable and made the brim go all wavy.
    I had the same type of experience, back in about '82. At the time, I couldnt understand why a hat *like this* didnt look the same after about a year of wear.
    'There is a fine line between art and fondling.'
    - J.H.P.

Anybody out there prefer wool-felt hats to fur-felt? Do tell!

No, it's fur felt for me! There is an exception. When the weather is bad and shows promise of rain, I'll grab my black wool Jaxon pinch front or my light tan Bronner and spare my Stetsons for a good day. So my wool felt hats are my favorite beater hats.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have bought wool felt but since I did, I'll wear them until they wear out. It's gonna be almost a year and they're still holding up.
    Ernest
    Nora Charles: I got rid of all those reporters.
    Nick Charles: What did you tell them?
    Nora Charles: We're out of scotch.
    Nick Charles: What a gruesome idea.

Some brands offer a good quality in wool felt hats, there are pretty models, if you keep it out rain or water looks fine much time, one reason to pick a wool felt is the price. กกก
    any where, any place,be kind with animals, keep on warm walking, smiling and shadowing, life is plenty

My first two fedora hats were Scala Wool Felt hats. They did the job for getting me accustomed to the look and style, but it definately didn't take long for them to lose their style with just a little bit of wear and tear. Once I switched to a fur-felt, nothing compares. You can tell an instant difference in quality and durability and the fit and feel are mile apart. The best benefit is that weather has FAR less damaging effects on a fur felt than wool. Think of it this way, I don't know a single animal with fur that absorbs water!! Most animals once soaked will be dry and good after a half hour or so because they naturally shed water. However, give your T-shirt or favorite wool sweater a good soaking and chances are it will still be noticeably wet tomorrow!!

My advice to a beginner would be find a local outlet store or ebay item and spend $30 more to get a fur-felt lid. Even in the "lesser" quality lines it will hold up and give you WAY more pride than even a top end wool hat (if there is such a thing). For example, a descent wool hat will run $39-69 through your online retailer, at a local Hatco outlet here in town the most expensive fur felt they sell is $99 and most of them go for $59-79.