Thread: The Hats of The King's Speech

The Hats of The King's Speech

A prominent feature of the costumes of The King's Speech were the hats of the 1930's. I've collected a few photographs to give people who have not seen the film a feel for what to expect.

Hats of the London costume company that supplied the production.

The homburg below was rather nice, but I couldn't find a full picture.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenGenet View Post
    Top hat with a suit? Was this a style acceptable in England that I'm ignorant of? I haven't seen that look before.
    flute -

Loads of great 1940's/50's/60's fedoras for sale in sizes 7 1/8 - 7 1/4, here.

Practically Family Charlie Huang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluteplayer07 View Post
    Top hat with a suit? Was this a style acceptable in England that I'm ignorant of? I haven't seen that look before.
    Erm, it's outside and obviously cold. Everyone is wearing overcoats. Could it be that The King is also wearing an overcoat???

Easy enough mistake to make as someone did before when a photo of the DoE came up a while back of him wearing an overcoat over his morning dress...

But it looks like he has a necktie on under that. It's a patterned tie, and his shirt has forward points, not a wing collar. (I'm not fluent in shirting terminology; is it called a 'turned down collar'?)
    flute -

Loads of great 1940's/50's/60's fedoras for sale in sizes 7 1/8 - 7 1/4, here.

Fair point - he probably should have been wearing black tie under that overcoat.

The homburg below was rather nice, but I couldn't find a full picture.
    Actually, I got a look at that homburg in one of the shots and was unimpressed - very beat up, looked dirty. Certainly not something the heir to the throne would be wearing.

Also, the brown hat that Lionel (Rush's character) was wearing looked like it might have been a modern Herbert Johnson Poet. Any thoughts on that? -M
    Last edited by Mulceber; 01-02-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Fortune and Glory Coalition
    Optimo South Side Mobsters
    Art Fawcett Hall of Fame
    School of Hard Knox

My Mail is Forwarded Here Mr. Paladin's Avatar
    My wife and I saw this movie earlier this week and really enjoyed it. It was full of good hats and different looks as I believe the styles were in a state of flux in the 1930's. By the way, the prince was not heir to the throne until after Edward VIII abdicated but was second in line at that time. Edward was the elder son and heir to the throne until he vacated. CitizenGenet, thanks for the shots and especially the costumer's hat selection.
    "This gun was handcrafted to my specifications and I rarely draw it unless I mean to use it."

Paladin

True, but by that scene with the homburg, the King had already died and Edward was on the throne. -M
    Fortune and Glory Coalition
    Optimo South Side Mobsters
    Art Fawcett Hall of Fame
    School of Hard Knox

Practically Family Charlie Huang's Avatar
    But it looks like he has a necktie on under that. It's a patterned tie, and his shirt has forward points, not a wing collar. (I'm not fluent in shirting terminology; is it called a 'turned down collar'?)
    Dear Lord God, Ascots with wing collars by that time was going out and neckties with turndowns for morning dress was coming in (his abdicated Royal Brother wore a necktie for his wedding with that Simpson woman prior). There is nothing wrong with what is worn here.