Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fake sweat stains / soil cowboy hats?

New In Town

How to fake sweat stains / soil cowboy hats?

I need to artificially stain a hat for a costume much like the ones you can buy these days with the fake dirt and sweat stains. I'm sure it is a combination of some sort of brushed on and sprayed on mixture - I just don't know what that is. I thought for sure by doing a search online I'd find some hollywood secrets but this is a subject that no one seems to have posted on before. I have a light colored almost gray felt hat that needs the fake-ness applied around the hat band area along with general dirt from handling. Any insight as to how the manufacturers do it?

Quote Originally Posted by santacaferacer View Post
    I need to artificially stain a hat for a costume much like the ones you can buy these days with the fake dirt and sweat stains. I'm sure it is a combination of some sort of brushed on and sprayed on mixture - I just don't know what that is. I thought for sure by doing a search online I'd find some hollywood secrets but this is a subject that no one seems to have posted on before. I have a light colored almost gray felt hat that needs the fake-ness applied around the hat band area along with general dirt from handling. Any insight as to how the manufacturers do it?
    Welcome to the Lounge. There was some discussion a while back on the dirt/soil used for this. Basically, you wet the felt aroud the crown where the sweat would be & apply the "stuff" that clings to the water then dries there. This "stuff" was used on Indiana Jones style hats to get that look of used fedora from the movie. Major Moore of Buckaroo Hatters may also know about soiling up a hat for SASS & there are Indy hatters on here than can help too, I think.
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

New In Town
    Thanks - I have eavesdropped on the lounge for years and finally joined loving all things you guys do - nice leather jackets, hats, boots, etc....I'm not a SASS member (yet) but do my fair share of black powder too.

I hope someone can give me the secret formula!

I have not done this. Just cutting/pasting from a google search result....

- Use water proof makeup, shoe polish or products called fullers earth and schmutz.

-When using Fullers Earth, mix three parts glycerin or baby oil with one part water in a spray bottle. Apply to the desired area then apply Fullers Earth. This will keep the “dust” on the garment/fabric.

-Use glycerin or baby oil in a spray bottle to make sweat stains.

-Use a product called schmere to make grass stains. This product comes in a form like a deodorant stick.

B
    GO, PACK, GO !!!!!

it also helps if you squash the hat, kick it around a bit, get it soaking wet*, and all that jazz, before you stain it.

Just out of curiosity, what is the costume?

*let it dry out too.
    Last edited by Yeps; 01-04-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    Respectfully, if possibly sarcastically,
    John

And... South Pacific! Just outside of Philly!

Also, my Food Blog has posts again, so check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by santacaferacer View Post
    I hope someone can give me the secret formula!
    Secrets?

Fullers Earth is the "stuff" I couldn't remember. Thanks Bill...
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    Hard to be an outlaw when you're not wanted any more!
    WAR = What is it good for?

New In Town
    Well, I have been shooting dual Colt Walkers and decided to go the Josey Wales route for full 'effect' at events. I located an accurate and authentic belt, jacket, and hat. All of them are crispy new and will need some hollywood distressing so I don't look like I just came out of a box. The hat is perfect - just needs heavy soiling and sweat. You can buy these hats from Baron hats pre-soiled for the price of your first born or just attempt to get the hat which is reproduced by many and wreck it yourself.

New In Town
    Found this source for that stuff and more:

http://sites.google.com/site/costume...ssing-supplies

New In Town
    Schmere - not cheap but sounds good

http://www.ghostride.com/view-SCH-BNDL.html