Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your British suits

Thanks HBK and I think that your suit is great. I've been buying older suits for about a year now having experienced two new suits bought from M & S but made in China.
    I found a couple of 1980's suits made for a fabric buyer in Yorkshire, they fitted perfectly so the M & S rags went to the charity shop! The main criteria I have when looking is 'made in England' though I include all of the UK and made of wool, the above example excepted!
    I have a mixture of bespoke and factory made and have them adjusted if required to fit.

How is it possible to post photos directly into a post without using flickr or other suchlike? Do I have to make a certain number of postings perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    this is my favourite British made suit. i estimate the date at mid 30s but it could be later or even slightly earlier.
    this suit has no whistles and bells. it is a stripped down, lean piece of man armour.
    the finish is tough and workmanlike, almost brutal, not very precise, which is how i like suits to be made. i'm not really interested in delicate hand stitching and the like.
    i'm much more interested in the way British mass produced suits were constructed than bespoke suits.
    many British vintage suits have cuffs finished in this quirky manner.

That's a very nice suit indeed. I particularly like the fabric with it's hybrid colour and slight herringbone weave.

I have two suits with a similar sleeve cuff treatment - one Australian late 30s/early 40s and one British or German from the 1970s. I wonder why that treatment was used. Was it simply a cost cutting measure as it looks better than a "tube" cuff but is less expensive to make and easier to alter than having a "realistic" cuff.
    Mr Alan

Quote Originally Posted by avedwards View Post
    I wonder why that treatment was used. Was it simply a cost cutting measure as it looks better than a "tube" cuff but is less expensive to make and easier to alter than having a "realistic" cuff.
    if mass produced suits (trousers and arms) weren't hemmed and could be altered in-store, this type of cuff would make sense. it doesn't have a finished bottom edge so is easier to extend or shorten. i've seen it on a couple of American 30s jackets too.

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    I traded a suit with Ben a while back, which has this feature.

Lovely buttons, Hezza. Horn, or horn effect? I grabbed a tweed jacket today (1940s) with simply amazing buttons. I'll get photos and post them here. They seem to be varnished wood, or some very, very good wood effect hard plastic. really great buttons.

I'll do a similar dissection of my favourite suit soon. It's currently waiting with Miss Sis for me to gather it back into the fold after washing. Light brown, West end tailored and 1935 dated, made for a Diplomat. I fear that Ben is going to simply gather it into his wardrobe, he likes it so much

bk
    There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz View Post
    Horn, or horn effect?
    i would guess they're real horn, but i'm not sure i could tell the difference between real and good fakes. any tips ?

Quote Originally Posted by herringbonekid View Post
    i would guess they're real horn, but i'm not sure i could tell the difference between real and good fakes. any tips ?
    According to one vintage shop owner in Lincoln the noise it makes when you tap it against your teeth is different with real and fake horn. Real horn makes a more definied "clack" noise.
    Mr Alan

"Bite it..! You "have to BITE IT..!"
    "Hot ginger and dynamite, There's nothing but that at night,
    Back in Nagasaki Where the fellers chew tobaccy and the
    women wicky-wacky Woo."

An Earl Grey in a sea of Latte...

Being slowly digested inside "The Crouching Monster"
    A strange fish. The label states that the suit was made in England, but sold in Bermuda. The cut has nothing British about it, particularly in the trousers (pics to come). This is essentially a 1930s American linen suit, but made in England.

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. All the rest . . . comes afterwards. Albert Camus

http://baronkurtzvintage.wordpress.com/

Here are a couple of British suits that I have acquired over the last year, also a very strange horn button.

The first is 1963 probably bespoke by a tailor in Bristol. The second picture shows a very large pocket, normally seen in tweed jackets and known as a poachers pocket so strange to see it on a business suit, any ideas why?

The next suit is by Jackson Tailors, they were bought out by Burtons in the 70's I think.
    It has a narrow lapel so I think perhaps 1960's, would be grateful for your thoughts.
    It is three piece and the waistcoat is double breasted and the jacket has one button fastening and a quilted lining.

The last is a Daks suit, factory made but fully lined so I think again from the 1960's or early 70's before big lapels.

The horn buttons I mentioned, the jacket has no indication of origin but I think Italian, the buttons look like they have been cut off and drilled, nothing more!

Thank you for bearing with me, I've now discovered Photobucket!

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshirechap View Post
    Here are a couple of British suits that I have acquired over the last year, also a very strange horn button.

The first is 1963 probably bespoke by a tailor in Bristol. The second picture shows a very large pocket, normally seen in tweed jackets and known as a poachers pocket so strange to see it on a business suit, any ideas why?
    If it was tailor made the customer probably requested it. Could have been for storing gloves, glasses or some other bulky item the wearer liked to keep with him.

The next suit is by Jackson Tailors, they were bought out by Burtons in the 70's I think.
    It has a narrow lapel so I think perhaps 1960's, would be grateful for your thoughts.
    It is three piece and the waistcoat is double breasted and the jacket has one button fastening and a quilted lining.

Jackson were taken over in the 50s I think but the style looks 60s so I suppose it could have been made by Burton using the Jackson name. I really like the quilted lining on that one - if I ever get rich enough to afford several bespoke suits I may try to get the detail on one! It's interesting that it has linked button closure usually only seen on morning coats and dinner jackets.
    Mr Alan