Thread: Old Underwood Typewriter

Old Underwood Typewriter

I have an old Underwood typewriter that's been around the house since I was a child (and who knows how long before that). It's in good shape, and still works (except for a dried-up ribbon). I can't find any model numbers on the thing, so can't give any specifics except that it weighs a ton.

Does anyone have any idea how old this typewriter may be?

Just looking at it I would guess 1940's or 50's.

From the front lettering and gray color plus overall design, 1960's. Mom had one just like it purchased when she was in High School in 1965. I inherited it and it served me faithfully through High School and College (1987-1994). Unfortunately she ended up selling it after I moved out but I eventually got a Smith-Corona Silent c. 1947 I found at an antique shop for $10, never used and in it's original case.

Big Man, your typewriter resembles the Underwood SX 100 from the 50's I believe:

Still, the art deco molding on the SX 100 shown has only three ribs as apposed to the five on yours.

Thanks for the information, folks. I can remember that old typewriter being around the house in the early to mid 1960's,but don't know if it was "old"then or not. I couldn't find any kind of marking or numbers on the thing, but then I may not be looking in the right place.

Sometimes you have to go to great lengths to find the serial numbers which are on a metal tag somewhere insite the typewriter. Once you get the model # and Serial # you can go HERE and look it up and you'll find the date.

Quote Originally Posted by brspiritus View Post
    Sometimes you have to go to great lengths to find the serial numbers which are on a metal tag somewhere insite the typewriter. Once you get the model # and Serial # you can go HERE and look it up and you'll find the date.
    Thanks for the link. I'll start searching for the numbers.

Thats an Underwood "Rhythm Touch" from the early 1950's check out www.machinesoflovinggrace.com

Thanks. Early 1950's would be just about right for the history of this old typewriter with my family.

Southern Illinois USA, right in "Bloody Williamson" county
    Looking at this reminds me to dig out my Nero Wolfe novels for some Archie working on his typewriter to annoy his favorite fatty.