Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: traveling with multiple hats

traveling with multiple hats

I am quite sure that this has been addressed but after an hour of searching, I can't find the answer.

I travel from Vermont to MA and NC quite often each year and now that I have this new found fedora obsession (thanks FL) I was wondering what lounge members do if they want to bring multiple lids with them when traveling by car. I am resistant to leaving them in the back window (not even an option if I have my Wrangler) and it would seem that a cardboard hatbox wouldn't stand up to the rigors of extended travel.
    ---
    Visit Jethro's Haberdashery!

US Fedora Lounge Members receive free domestic shipping with code TFLUSArocks -
    international buyers - we will work out a fair discount at the time of purchase!

I would think that the cardboard hatbox would be fine. After all, the hats ship in those boxes all the time and (usually) make it through without a problem....and that's in a more hostile environment than your car.

Cliff
    The weed of crime bears bitter fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
    and that's in a more hostile environment than your car.

Cliff
    You've never been in the car with my wife!!!!
    ---

international buyers - we will work out a fair discount at the time of purchase!

You already have the most important part taken care of -- you travel by automobile, which is itself something of a big hatbox, if you wish it to be. As Cliffnopus noted, cardboard hatboxes should be up to the job. I mean the corrugated kind used for shipping hats, not those thinnish ones you might likelier get with your new hat at the retail store. But even if you use the latter type, your hats should get through it okay provided you use a bit of care in packing your car. You know, put the boxes on top of the pile, or some other place where they won't get crushed by a shifting load.

"A List" Customer KILO NOVEMBER's Avatar

Top-of-the-line travelling hat boxes

If you have money to burn, check these out:
    http://www.millerhats.com/accesories...boxesindex.htm

I usually travel with 1 on my head & 1 in the hat can = http://www.drysdales.com/Hats/Hat-Ac...k-Hat-Box.html
    I also have a hat case that holds 2 hats but haven't seen them for sale in years. The hat cans are available in multi-hat versions too.
    Most western wear stores have them since folks that show horses use them a great deal.
    NEVER leave even cheap hats in the back window, unless you are trying to shrink & fade them....
    Deputy Swoopy, Crease Police - Mounted Division, Fedora Bureau of Investigation - Icon Defender
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to other people and I require the same from them.
    WAR = What is it good for?

My Mail is Forwarded Here
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyMoe View Post
    I am quite sure that this has been addressed but after an hour of searching, I can't find the answer.

I travel from Vermont to MA and NC quite often each year and now that I have this new found fedora obsession (thanks FL) I was wondering what lounge members do if they want to bring multiple lids with them when traveling by car. I am resistant to leaving them in the back window (not even an option if I have my Wrangler) and it would seem that a cardboard hatbox wouldn't stand up to the rigors of extended travel.
    You are an ambitious man.

For a second there, mindful of litterbox products, I thought you were asking about multiple cats. . . .
    Paul W. (the Benzadmiral)
    http://benzadmiral-uncle.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danofarlington View Post
    You are an ambitious man.
    Not really, I run a non-profit in NC from VT (as a hobby really) because of the affiliations developed down there it requires me to travel quite a bit, some times on short notice. The Wife's parents are in MA so it's only a 4 hour drive there vs the 19 hour drive to NC
    ---

Here's a suggestion. Try this:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Hat-Carrier-Outpost
    This guy occasionally puts up scratch and dent models for auction, and you can usually land them pretty reasonably. I have two doubles and two singles from him, all of which are perfectly functional and you have to look pretty close to find a scratch or a dent.
    Secret Hat Society, Founding Member (2009)