Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding stiffener to a straw hat

Adding stiffener to a straw hat

Has anyone tried to add stiffener to a panama hat? Could you use felt hat stiffener?
    Last edited by job; 03-01-2011 at 06:55 PM.

I have used Scouts stiffener on many of my straws.
    It worked for me.
    And ... Welcome to the Lounge!
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

Quote Originally Posted by job View Post
    Has anyone tried to add stiffener to a panama hat? Could you use felt hat stiffener?
    Most Panama's come with a very light coat of a stiffener to help hold a crease in them so how stiff do you want it? The Shantung "panamas" have a much heavier coat of a "shellac" but I don't think it is the same as the stiffener used for felts. Remember anything you apply to the outside of a Panama ( or any other type of straw hat) will coat and close up some of the open areas in the weave and make the hat MUCH warmer to wear in the heat. The idea behind a Panama is it's lightness and ability to pass air when worn in a hot climate I don't think it would work well. JMHO

I just received a 13.99 panama hat from bob and for the price it is a nice hat. It is in a bogey style but the front of the brim is flat where the back curls up in a typical fedora shape. The front brim is a little floppy and I figured using steam and maybe holding it to a cup to make it curve uniformly would not hold because of the light weave. I did use some Kahl fur felt stiffener on it and it did not discolor it and did help a little. I think it may take me a few tries to make it hold a downward shape. Thanks for the advise RBH.

I'll Lock Up
    I do what Rusty advised you.
    Aureliano-

Domingo, ponte el sombrero y vamos.

I just received a 13.99 panama hat from bob and for the price it is a nice hat. It is in a bogey style but the front of the brim is flat where the back curls up in a typical fedora shape. The front brim is a little floppy and I figured using steam and maybe holding it to a cup to make it curve uniformly would not hold because of the light weave. I did use some Kahl fur felt stiffener on it and it did not discolor it and did help a little. I think it may take me a few tries to make it hold a downward shape. Thanks for the advise RBH.
    If you apply a light mist of distilled water to the brim, shape it as you desire, and let it dry it will hold that shape quite well without any stiffener. If after it dries you don't like the shape, you can always iron it back out flat (use a t-shirt or white hankey when you iron, though)
    This works for me on my panama bob straws.
    I build custom fishing rods on the side to support my fishing hobby and now, apparently, my hat obsession.

Practically Family
    Hi to all,
    I WANT a PB 13,99 hat too!!!
    I've emailed him a week ago but I've no answer from him.
    Could anyone help me to contact Bob?
    Hey job, could you post a pics, could you describe your new PB's hat?
    Many tanks.

God bless you.

Riccardo
    "...when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son" Romans.5:10

Practically Family
    Quote Originally Posted by riccardo View Post
    Hi to all,
    I WANT a PB 13,99 hat too!!!
    I've emailed him a week ago but I've no answer from him.
    Could anyone help me to contact Bob?
    Hey job, could you post a pics, could you describe your new PB's hat?
    Many tanks.

God bless you.

Riccardo
    Hi to all,
    today are arrived !

Two nice PB's panama hats.
    Many thank Bob, you too....are a nice person.

God bless you.
    Riccardo.
    "...when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son" Romans.5:10

Hey Ric! Always good to hear from you!
    Let us see some photos!!!
    take care my friend!
    RBH

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    ''We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be!
    When you side with a man, you stay with him!
    And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished!''
    *Pike Bishop- 1913*

Hat Shaping

Hello,

I would like to reshape an old Shantung straw hat and was wondering if anyone knew what kind of solution is best for stiffening the hat. Ideally I could get something that could also be used on fur felt hats as well. I have a steamer and an old hat block. One thing about the block I did not realize is that you need to get one that is a size smaller than you wear to avoid having to remove the sweat band. I bought the block at an estate sale so I did not pay a lot but I need to find a smaller one, can't seem to find the right size on ebay. I saw a hat stiffener on amazon but have also heard that spray starch works just as well. Anyone have any experience reshaping old hats?