Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Gatsby - Remake in the Works

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
    Agreed. I think it was quite cleaver and "slick" actually. I enjoyed highly. All the references to sword and dagger being the manufacturers of the firearms was very slick idea. The setting too as well well was well executed I thought. In contrast Moulin Rouge while it had a couple of fun moments was just not good...
    Moulin Rouge was, from start to finish, just awful in every way. Romeo + Juliet was great - the one thing I idn't like was what they did with Mercutio: that, to me, was a total misinterpretation.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

I was Brooks Brother faithful before, but now I may never go anywhere else!

Until this thread started, I never knew there was so much hate for Moulin Rouge! When it first came out, I was a little young for it, so my friends and I didn't get around to watching it until last Summer, and we loved it. But hey, to each his own.

Regardless, that Gatsby trailer (which I've seen well over two dozen times) just gives me a chill with every successive viewing. Saw it for the first time in a cinema the other day where it ran before Men In Black III, and as good as my home stereo is, seeing and hearing it with the pounding, tight speakers of a real auditorium brought it to a whole new level.

Not everybody here hates Moulin Rouge! I think it's great fun, while totally ahistorical and absurd. Entertaining trash.

Now Luhrmann's Australia, which really wants to be taken seriously as a historical epic, I think is far more embarrassing junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Strange View Post
    Not everybody here hates Moulin Rouge! I think it's great fun, while totally ahistorical and absurd.
    Exactly! I'm not looking for accuracy in it, just something really really fun! I'm laughing, but I know "it is what it is," and I'm laughing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The more I see of his work, the more I think R&J was a fluke.
    You may be exactly right!

Banned
    Trailer for the 1926 silent film version.

http://youtu.be/Asajgm-ciWA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBravo View Post
    I read the book quite recently and I interpreted Gatsby as actually being quite shallow. In fact I thought he was rather a slimey character as well. I recall the narrator being rather underwhelmed when he actually met Gatsby a one of the parties.

All his charm and riches was gained with the sole aim of obtaining the affections of a married woman whom he had meet previously. She would not have a relationship with him because he had no money.
    Everybody was "quite shallow". None were what they appeared to be. It was the kind of group that might appear in the style section of the weekend newspaper: Tom Buchanan, the handsome polo player. His beautiful wife Daisy. Their friend Jordan Baker the amateur golf champion. And of course the mysterious Gatsby. The man who throws the fabulous weekend parties at his mansion on the water at West Egg.

Buchanan turns out to be a racist, who cheats on his wife and knocks his girlfriend around.

Daisy is an airhead who first falls in love with Gatsby, as soon as he is out of sight falls in love with Buchanan, until she gets a letter from Gatsby, when she falls back in love with him, but marries Buchanan anyway, then falls in love with Gatsby again, until she gets in a jam and runs back to Buchanan.

They both have a habit of getting into jams and skipping town, leaving someone else to take the heat and clean up the mess they made.

Their friend Jordan Baker isn't much better. She cheats at golf, and is another careless spoiled brat who lies and uses people.

The mysterious Gatsby turns out to be a cheap four flusher, cat's paw of Wolfsheim the gambler and fixer. His mansion is rented, his parties full of B list celebrities and gate crashers, and by the end of the summer he is broke and depending on a scheme involving stolen bonds to recoup his fortune.

But Gatsby is redeemed by his love for Daisy. He dedicated his life to building himself into a Platonic ideal of the rich sophisticate. It wasn't much of a dream, the kind a hick teenager would dream up if he read too many cheap novels but it was his dream and he never deviated from it even though, in the end, it killed him.

That is what Nick Carraway was talking about when he said to Gatsby, "you are worth all the rest of them put together".
    Last edited by Stanley Doble; 07-01-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I've always read Gatsby as being a jazz age Heathcliff, but yes, reading The Great Gatsby as a love story is an even bigger misinterpretation than reading Romeo and Juliet as such. It is emphatically not a story of love, but rather one of obsession, self-delusion, and the crushing effect of the class system.
    Nailed it.

The character of Wolfsheim is based on Arnold Rothstein the gambler and gangster who actually did fix the World Series in 1919 (or so it was said). He is emphatically American, the prototype of the Jewish American gangster.

Why would they hire Bachcham? Couldn't they get Justin Beiber? (sarcasm)

And what is with the beard? Show me one bearded gangster from the twenties, either in real life or the movies.