Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 6 Most Ill-Conceived Weapons Ever Built

Rer: Ross rifle

I have always coveted a Ross. A very fine sporting rifle in a sporting caliber. BUT. The .303 adaption of the Ross was a serious mistake, never worked properly in the field & has blighted a great design. My grandfather was NOT impressed.

I found the article entertaining. I should expect to take it with a pinch of salt. The entry on the "racist" machine gun I read with horrified fascination. If made up, I would find it hilarious satire, particularly in our modern world. Knowing it was genuine is rather disturbing, and depressing.
    If in doubt - overdress.

Vivienne Westwood

Canadian journalist Gordon Sinclair was surprised to find during a trip to India that the Ross rifle was esteemed as a big game weapon. In Canada it had a bad reputation from WW1 but if kept clean, it was an excellent rifle.

New In Town
    Hello everyone, my name is Ben Adelman. I'm 19 years old (only since last October though, before that, I was actually 18, if you can believe that) and last year, I wrote this article. I would like to start off by thanking all of you, both for reading my article and for your insightful and very helpful critiques. I'm sorry if you were dissatisfied with the content, I can only apologize. I went with what was listed in my sources, and the editorial staff at Cracked changed some of the wording. In addition, some of the examples I wanted to use (such as the infamous Russian Tank Dogs) had already been used in previous articles, and so couldn't be used again. All in all, I suppose the 40 hours I personally put into the article wasn't enough. Since you all seem like you would be interested in guns and history, I encourage you to read and critique another article I co authored with a friend of mine a few months ago:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19702...ally-used.html
    The profile of me which you so kindly linked earlier in this thread is the same one I use now, as is the email address. I look forward to hearing your comments, but you'll have to hurry, since next month I'm shipping out to Texas to spend 6 months training for the Air Force. Once again, I thank you all for your commentary and your viewership, and I hope you all have a pleasant day.
    Regards,
    Ben Adelman

One of the Regulars
    The problem with young people who like to write is that they have no effective system of learning how to write article like a real journalist. They blog, tweet or facebook and think they are "journalists". I strongly suggest you enter a good college with a strong journalism program and english department if you wish to pursue writing as career.

I was lucky to have had real journalists teach me in college who had significant experience as war correspondents in WWII and Korea, served as editors on major daily news papers and worked in the TV and radio new organizations. I was too young to understand all that they said at times, but as the years pass by I realize the valuable lessons and insight they gave to me.

Good Luck!

Actually, that 2nd article was funnier than the first. Back in the day, I wanted a Lemat.

Quote Originally Posted by MattieA65 View Post
    Actually, that 2nd article was funnier than the first. Back in the day, I wanted a Lemat.
    Last edited by V.C. Brunswick; 05-07-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."
    ...Eric Morecambe, OBE
    http://www.facebook.com/victor.brunswick

Quote Originally Posted by V.C. Brunswick View Post
    I love the looks of the LeMat, but watching the video reminds me why I have never bought one! Incidentally, I do not like the greased felt wads, I had a chain fire with them, top and bottom chamber, bent the ramrod, and ruined the pistol!